SSD on Windows 10

lucasburns

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
I just bought a new ssd and for some reason windows wont detect it. I can see that its there when i go to the sata section of my bios but nowhere else. i want to do a factory reset and put my os on the ssd, please help!

Im going to be using EaseUS todo Backup to transfer windows to the ssd after ive done the reset.

Solution
Do you have a USB key that is 8GB in size? If so, you can use the Windows 10 media creation tool, no need for a DVD or anything else.

As for backup, if you don't have an external drive that's large enough, you can use your SSD as temp storage. Since you were going to be imaging the entire contents of the HDD to SSD, you must have enough room. Just copy over the data temporarily (after you've done the clean install of Windows 10) and then format the HDD and move the data back.

lucasburns

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014

it's not showing it in disk managment. only my 2 other hard drives

lucasburns

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
ok so i see the kingston ssd but it's only shown as Disk 1 (not c: D: e: ect) and the only things i can do with it are convert to dynamic disk andconvert to GTP disk but nethir of those do anything

make a ntfs or fat32 partion on the new disk then format it. when it formated and has a drive letter it show up in windows. before you do that you can see if you can make a bootable cd or usb stick from the recovery media on your pc. if you can then unplug the hard drive and boot from the recovery media and then run the recovey on the ssd to put a new image on it. then you can copy over your data to the ssd from the hard drive.

Aside from this issue, I'd suggest not migrating your OS / data from the HDD to SSD. I would do a clean install of Windows on the SSD (with your HDD disconnected). Once Windows is installed and you've done the drivers, updates, application installs, Windows activation, then reconnect your HDD and copy over the data you need. Then back up any other data you haven't already moved to the SSD and format the HDD to use as storage.

Often when OS / data is migrated to an SSD, you'll have problems booting, disk alignment issues, etc.

You'll also know if something is up with your SSD if the Windows installer can't see it to partition it and format it.

if you still have the windows key for that pc you can use the windows media creation tool and a usb stick to make a new windows 10 installer. whe nthe new windows 10 installer run you can use windows 7/8/10 keys now to register it.
just pop into staples store most usb sticks now are under 10.00.

Do you have a USB key that is 8GB in size? If so, you can use the Windows 10 media creation tool, no need for a DVD or anything else.

As for backup, if you don't have an external drive that's large enough, you can use your SSD as temp storage. Since you were going to be imaging the entire contents of the HDD to SSD, you must have enough room. Just copy over the data temporarily (after you've done the clean install of Windows 10) and then format the HDD and move the data back.

Solution