[SOLVED] SSD only boots once after clean install

Aug 18, 2021
So I've built my new computer today and i got to install windows on my samsung 980 pro m.2 ssd through a dvd. Windows 10 was done installing and I could see the homescreen. However, after rebooting, I could no longer boot into it. I get past post screen and its just black. Nothingness. Tried restarting a couple of times. Tried resetting bios by taking out the battery a couple times. I even tried to reinstall windows a couple of times. I have no clue what is wrong. I need your help please. I'm using ASUS PRIME Z590-V as my
mobo and i7-11700k as my cpu. My ssd is an SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB m.2. I have a feeling theres something i need to change in the bios for it to work, this is my first time using an nvme drive.

Solution
I recently had the misfortune of reinstalling Windows 10 on my SATA SSD without unplugging my HDD, which led to windows creating some sort of "backup boot files" on the HDD, meaning the system would only boot with my hard drive connected. Through this I've ended up learning about EFI boot files and what not, and I found this thread that may be of use to you. Hope it helps. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-m-2-nvme-ssd.3365143/

(The answer in the thread seems to of been tailored to the OP's specific motherboard model and BIOS, so don't panic too much if you can't find all the stuff listed in the answer)
So I've built my new computer today and i got to install windows on my samsung 980 pro m.2 ssd through a dvd. Windows 10 was done installing and I could see the homescreen. However, after rebooting, I could no longer boot into it. I get past post screen and its just black. Nothingness. Tried restarting a couple of times. Tried resetting bios by taking out the battery a couple times. I even tried to reinstall windows a couple of times. I have no clue what is wrong. I need your help please. I'm using ASUS PRIME Z590-V as my
mobo and i7-11700k as my cpu. My ssd is an SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB m.2. I have a feeling theres something i need to change in the bios for it to work, this is my first time using an nvme drive.
Can you BOOT in safe mode ?

Samchovski

Prominent
Aug 19, 2021
I recently had the misfortune of reinstalling Windows 10 on my SATA SSD without unplugging my HDD, which led to windows creating some sort of "backup boot files" on the HDD, meaning the system would only boot with my hard drive connected. Through this I've ended up learning about EFI boot files and what not, and I found this thread that may be of use to you. Hope it helps. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cant-boot-from-m-2-nvme-ssd.3365143/

(The answer in the thread seems to of been tailored to the OP's specific motherboard model and BIOS, so don't panic too much if you can't find all the stuff listed in the answer)

Solution
Aug 18, 2021

I only have the ssd and the dvd reader plugged in. No other drive. I tried to change secure boot options but that wouldn't change a lot considering I can't even get to boot in secure boot. Tried to clear secure keys or whatever its called, still no luck. I will retry later in the day with win10 on a usb to see if it was just a problem with the dvd reader.