[SOLVED] SSD only recognized when Laptop plugged into power

Jan 9, 2019
I replaced the HDD in my Lenovo E845 with a Samsung Evo 850 SSD. I got the SSD second hand for free. I transferred all the data including the operating system from the old HDD by creating an image and flashing it to the SSD. I thought everything was fine but now the SSD doesn't boot all the time. It always boots when I have the AC adapter plugged in but not when it's running on battery power

I should note that none of these problems happened with the HDD so it's not an issue of a faulty connection.

Are there settings in windows to change in relation to the SSD?
Are there power options that could be effecting the recognition of the disk?
Is there a way to determine if it's a bad SSD without buying a new one?

Solution
No, no settings need to be changed because it's an SSD, if there were it would not have worked in the first place.
Same thing for second question, if it worked originally, then you don't have to mess with power options. And no power option you can reasonably set in a system would keep the main boot drive from working.

To test if the SSD is bad, hook it up to an external enclosure or as a secondary drive in a desktop and see how well it works there.
No, no settings need to be changed because it's an SSD, if there were it would not have worked in the first place.
Same thing for second question, if it worked originally, then you don't have to mess with power options. And no power option you can reasonably set in a system would keep the main boot drive from working.

To test if the SSD is bad, hook it up to an external enclosure or as a secondary drive in a desktop and see how well it works there.

Solution