Question SSD overvoltage, I removed the diode, U30 and U33, still have 17 shorted caps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 23, 2024
Hi! I removed the diode, U30 and U33 and checked resistances of all the capacitors and resistances between GND and some elements. 17 shorted caps total.
eoRGPVE.jpeg

kmAOPvw.jpeg
NYzAXnj.jpeg

Solution
It sounds like you're having difficulty narrowing it down. That large IC is the SDRAM. If that's the only culprit, then there is some hope because it can be replaced. Hopefully none of the NAND flash ICs are heating up.

A well equipped workshop would have a current limited power supply that could inject a low voltage into the circuit and allow you to safely test the components. But I don't know what you can do with the tools that you have. I think U30 may fail if you run it for too long.
Apr 23, 2024
I put SDRAM, U33 and diode from the donor - all the data has been restored. Thank you for your help! Without you I would never get so far.

Can't mark any post as solution.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
@kornsoud, you amaze me! I was holding out very little hope, but you persisted beyond my wildest expectations. Congratulations to you and your repair guy (I wrongly underestimated him).
Same here.
Was not expecting actual success.

Now...@kornsoud...for future issues, please please please art and maintain a good backup routine.

Next time, the drive recovery may not go as well. Either just the physical drive, or drive + data.

Reactions: kornsoud
Apr 23, 2024
Congratulations to you and your repair guy (I wrongly underestimated him).
It was all thanks to you and another guy from another forum (Nvidia @stuig), the repairman just did what I told him to do. He did it right though.
for future issues, please please please art and maintain a good backup routine.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking about right now, thank you! https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/what-is-your-backup-situation-at-home.2997205/
I need some time to process the info.

Reactions: stonecarver