Question SSD overwriting wear prevention?

DynV

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
IIRC when overwriting a file on a SSD on Windows 10 by default it writes on the same physical location; some programs may not implement real overwritings but writing in temporary files then deleting the originals then renaming the temporaries, but that's the exception. Also if my recollection is correct, SSD are constructed in a manner that writing on a specific physical location multiple times start to wear that location, and because of that it's important to choose SSD which have a good "dispatching" that will try to spread writing as evenly as possible. If both are true, is there a way to force overwriting to act as the aforementioned exception (temporary files).

There are a few things I overwrite somewhat regularly and it worries me I might be destroying my SSD doing so.

Thank you kindly for your help

IIRC when overwriting a file on a SSD on Windows 10 by default it writes on the same physical location; some programs may not implement real overwritings but writing in temporary files then deleting the originals then renaming the temporaries, but that's the exception. Also if my recollection is correct, SSD are constructed in a manner that writing on a specific physical location multiple times start to wear that location, and because of that it's important to choose SSD which have a good "dispatching" that will try to spread writing as evenly as possible. If both are true, is there a way to force overwriting to act as the aforementioned exception (temporary files).

There are a few things I overwrite somewhat regularly and it worries me I might be destroying my SSD doing so.

Thank you kindly for your help
Read about ......ssd wear leveling.