[SOLVED] SSD Partition Numbers

Dec 10, 2020
Hello. I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this - I tried my best to search.

I just built my first PC the other day with all new parts. Everything seemed to work fine. Later, I was going down a rabbit-hole on “things to do after you build your PC” (which I should have researched beforehand) and found out that it’s cool to install Windows 10 while NOT being connected to the internet until later.

As someone with severe OCD (enough I need prescription pills for), I decided to format everything and do it again the way I was shown. I deleted all the created partitions that were already made on my first attempt and everything seemed to be working fine.

Then I checked the disk management and saw that partition 1 was for my EFI system and partition 4 was for my recovery. The fact that it’s out of order makes me wonder if, by redoing everything, somehow I messed up the partition order and if it even matters.

Any information on the topic would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Dec 10, 2020
Awesome! Thank you so much!

While I have your attention, I have two other small questions:
  1. This is going to be a gaming PC, I've been reading a lot of opinions on partitioning the SSD for games. Some say it's totally unnecessary and others say it does good things. What is your opinion?
  2. Should I update my BIOS? Some say it's a good thing to do on a new PC. Others say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Thoughts?

Again, you've been a ton of help - thank you!

USAFRet

Titan
Awesome! Thank you so much!

While I have your attention, I have two other small questions:
  1. This is going to be a gaming PC, I've been reading a lot of opinions on partitioning the SSD for games. Some say it's totally unnecessary and others say it does good things. What is your opinion?
  2. Should I update my BIOS? Some say it's a good thing to do on a new PC. Others say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Thoughts?
Again, you've been a ton of help - thank you!
1. Partitioning on an SSD is a waste of time. It servers zero purpose, except to waste drive space.
No matter what you use the drive for.

Splitting a drive into partitions is much less useful that it was in days of old.
If you need to reinstall the OS, you'd need to reinstall your applications anyway.
If the drive dies, you'd need to reinstall anyway.

If you need to delineate games and data from the OS and applications, a different physical drive is much preferred vs 'partitions'.
My main system has multiple physical drives, each with their own purpose.

2. BIOS. In a brand new system, update the BIOS to whatever is the newest available. After that...."if it ain't broke..."

Reactions: jespo90