Question SSD POWER CYCLE

Oct 25, 2019
Hi good day

This is my first publication, I hope to receive your support. I have seen that with CrystalDiskInfo I can see the power-up cycles of my SSD, will there be any way to delete this record and return it to a value of 0 cycles?

If so, could you share how to do it?

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
power cycles iirc is the times you turned it on, basically the times you connected that ssd or turned pc on

the number just reflects that, there is no need to make it 0

unless you want to sell it as new and you are trying to discover how to scam someone

Reactions: Rnvz
Oct 25, 2019
power cycles iirc is the times you turned it on, basically the times you connected that ssd or turned pc on

the number just reflects that, there is no need to make it 0

unless you want to sell it as new and you are trying to discover how to scam someone

It is for work, not for the reason he comments, I do performance tests and I have a cycle limit; If I restart the cycles I can continue testing, it is cheaper than buying new SSDs

Oct 25, 2019
That is literally just the number of times the drive has been powered up.

"It's for work" doesn't tell us 'why'.

I perform unit performance tests, but I have a limited number of cycles, 100 cycles, it would be better to restart the cycles and continue with the tests than to buy more SSD

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
what you need can be done but you need to write into the firmware of the ssd, rewrite lots of things and force a clean start on the drive

i never heard of anyone doing that on a ssd

your question sound very weird and as you see we all had doubbts about you reasons on doing that, sorry, but the question is weird

if the task you are doing needs a new ssd, ssds are cheap these days, so consider that as plan A

plan B as rewriting firmware, internal chips on the ssd is not that easy to do, is like plan C at best

USAFRet

Titan
I perform unit performance tests, but I have a limited number of cycles, 100 cycles, it would be better to restart the cycles and continue with the tests than to buy more SSD
Where does this "100 cycles" limit come from?

Just resetting that number does not 'reset' the actual wear on the drive.
Like turning back the odometer in your car. The engine still has 100,000 miles on it, even of the odometer says 3.

Oct 25, 2019
what you need can be done but you need to write into the firmware of the ssd, rewrite lots of things and force a clean start on the drive

i never heard of anyone doing that on a ssd

your question sound very weird and as you see we all had doubbts about you reasons on doing that, sorry, but the question is weird

if the task you are doing needs a new ssd, ssds are cheap these days, so consider that as plan A

plan B as rewriting firmware, internal chips on the ssd is not that easy to do, is like plan C at best

Of course, I understand how complex it can be, in fact, plan A is discarded due to the volume of units in which we perform performance tests, although SSDs are cheap because the volume exceeds our purchasing capacity, plan B would be the more convenient, but from what I comment is complicated

Oct 25, 2019
Where does this "100 cycles" limit come from?

Just resetting that number does not 'reset' the actual wear on the drive.
Like turning back the odometer in your car. The engine still has 100,000 miles on it, even of the odometer says 3.

This is a job that is done for the performance of computers (desktops and laptops to render graphics) is not for SSD, but the software used for stress testing limits us to 100 cycles per HDD or SSD (in this case performance with SSD is required), which we overcome in many of the units, as I mentioned earlier, the purchase of SSD is discarded by volume, not so much for its cost, performing this elimination of cycles helps us to continue the performance tests in still more units (Recycle The SSD).

Oct 25, 2019
With a genuine need, and given a 'large volume of units', your sales contact at Samsung can probably lead you to the official channel techies who can assist with this.

We out here cannot.

The image can be from Samsung, but we are not limited to a brand, we can use any SSD

Oct 25, 2019
Ok then...your supplier for whichever drive.

I'm still wondering where this "100 cycles" limit comes from.

The 100 cycles are out of our reach, as mentioned above, we use external software for these stress tests and the modification of the code costs a lot, the same test measures the cycles of the SSD installed in the unit, if it has more than 100 (for example, cycle 101) The test fails and prevents you from continuing with it, we currently have a limited number of SSDs at this time, if there was a way to do what I mentioned in the publication, it would be useful to continue our work (we would be recycling the SSDs that we have)

USAFRet

Titan
Bottom line - There is no way to reset that Power ON count for us out here.

Additionally, any testing facility that were found to be resetting that number in the midst of their 'stress tests'....that would be an immediate ignore from me.
Falsifying data, as it were.

Contact the manufacturers.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
in fact, the manufacturers won't help you here, the software you are using, is what gives the problem, if is expensive, i think that is the plan B, plan A is buy more ssds and sell the used ones to reduce the monetary investment on the tests

yes, rewrite firmware, manipulate the ssd, is not even plan D

Oct 25, 2019
Bottom line - There is no way to reset that Power ON count for us out here.

Additionally, any testing facility that were found to be resetting that number in the midst of their 'stress tests'....that would be an immediate ignore from me.
Falsifying data, as it were.

Contact the manufacturers.

Yes I understand,

I see that you have some doubts about the type of question, I comment that I work as part of the engineering department of a company that assembles office and high-performance computers, in which we perform performance tests of these units with stress tests that can be From 1 to 2 days of testing and in those with endless reboots, there is the inconvenience we have at this time with the SSD cycles since these units will be used as high performance in the offices of graphic representation, we had not presented this inconvenience and Mis Colleagues and I did not solve it. For this reason, I went to this post to see if I could get help.

Anyway, I appreciate the time you spent on my doubts, thanks

Oct 25, 2019
in fact, the manufacturers won't help you here, the software you are using, is what gives the problem, if is expensive, i think that is the plan B, plan A is buy more ssds and sell the used ones to reduce the monetary investment on the tests

yes, rewrite firmware, manipulate the ssd, is not even plan D

I understand, we will have to analyze those and other options, anyway I appreciate your time and your support, thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Yes I understand,

I see that you have some doubts about the type of question, I comment that I work as part of the engineering department of a company that assembles office and high-performance computers, in which we perform performance tests of these units with stress tests that can be From 1 to 2 days of testing and in those with endless reboots, there is the inconvenience we have at this time with the SSD cycles since these units will be used as high performance in the offices of graphic representation, we had not presented this inconvenience and Mis Colleagues and I did not solve it. For this reason, I went to this post to see if I could get help.

Anyway, I appreciate the time you spent on my doubts, thanks
The software you're using, if that carries that 100 cycle limit, it the offending character here.

Fix that.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
i was thinking about the 100 cycles limit

i imagine that is there to guarantee that the drive is new and it is offering the best performance it can give to reflect the best results at the ned of the benchmark/stability test

but a ssd doesn't degrade from the boot up cycles, it degrades from the reads and writes

the limit, for me, only guarantees that if you have to test lots of machines, 1000 machines per year, you will need around 100 ssds? if the benchmark/stress test reboots machine multiple times, the cost of buying ssds should be in the order of thousands of dollars per year

the cost of the app/bench tool, perhaps 10000 dollars? even more? there shouldn't be a power up cycle limit, the limit should go in the life left of the drive, measured by the firmware itself, in terms of gigabytes written

use a new app/tool sounds more cost effective to me

sorry, the question is weird and your situation is quite unique, in terms of cost and time, invest on a renewed updated app or another app to do these tests, plan A i mentioned, buy lots of ssds and sell used ones to recover part of the investment is just a problem the software developer is migrating to the company you work for, usually i pay for a solution, not to get a problem

Oct 25, 2019
i was thinking about the 100 cycles limit

i imagine that is there to guarantee that the drive is new and it is offering the best performance it can give to reflect the best results at the ned of the benchmark/stability test

but a ssd doesn't degrade from the boot up cycles, it degrades from the reads and writes

the limit, for me, only guarantees that if you have to test lots of machines, 1000 machines per year, you will need around 100 ssds? if the benchmark/stress test reboots machine multiple times, the cost of buying ssds should be in the order of thousands of dollars per year

the cost of the app/bench tool, perhaps 10000 dollars? even more? there shouldn't be a power up cycle limit, the limit should go in the life left of the drive, measured by the firmware itself, in terms of gigabytes written

use a new app/tool sounds more cost effective to me

sorry, the question is weird and your situation is quite unique, in terms of cost and time, invest on a renewed updated app or another app to do these tests, plan A i mentioned, buy lots of ssds and sell used ones to recover part of the investment is just a problem the software developer is migrating to the company you work for, usually i pay for a solution, not to get a problem

That's right, we are trying to reduce the costs of the company and the first alternative was the elimination of cycles that seem complicated, we will have to look for other alternatives (the sale of SSD is not possible by the company's policies) these will be protected until that it is executed again in another operation, the software change is no longer up to us, but it will be cared for with executives if necessary, there is nothing else to do, however, the sentences provided are valid and will be taken into account

Thanks!!

Reactions: atljsf