SSD question in regards to MSI Z97 gaming 7 motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

boogieman.zhou

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019

boogieman.zhou

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019

Okay so just to be completely certain that this is going to work correctly, this is the slot I am working with.

MSI-Z97-Gaming-9-AC-M2-slot.jpeg

And the Samsung 860 EVO m.2 looks like this.

71GcKkff1RL._SL1500_.jpg

Those two will fit together? Because they look slightly different so I just want to be completely safe.

USAFRet

Titan

Specifically:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-7/Specification
---------------------------
- 1 x M.2 Key M Socket supports type 2280/2260/2242 storage devices in both PCIE Gen2 x2 & SATA mode*
- M.2 port supports M.2 SATA 6Gb/s module

That 860 EVO is a SATA drive. It will run perfectly.

boogieman.zhou

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019

Specifically:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z97-GAMING-7/Specification
  • 1 x M.2 Key M Socket supports type 2280/2260/2242 storage devices in both PCIE Gen2 x2 & SATA mode*
  • M.2 port supports M.2 SATA 6Gb/s module

That 860 EVO is a SATA drive. It will run perfectly.
Okay so I have the SSD cloned from the HHD. I had intended to use a different Drive letter for the new drive, will changing that in Disk Management cause an issue? And the main reason, since it renamed the SSD to match the other HDD, the HDD is not showing up in My PC obviously. In Disk Management I see a (Disk 1 Partition 2) I am assuming that is the original HDD? Is that seeing the HDD as a "Second partition" of the SSD? If I click on the SSD in Disk Management it shows a Disk 1 with all the info I assume is the SSD and a Disk 2 Unknown and it is uninitialized which I am guessing is the HDD? How do I reclaim this drive?

QpMoyu5.png

Also I noticed that my two external drives, which are both MyBooks, are two different formats and am unsure if I should be concerned about this?

UhP6LOc.png

I assume it is no issue and the exFAT is just the newer of the two externals since that seems to be a newer and technically better format for usb externals?

On a side note. I had a HDD stop reading forever ago and I think it sort of read a bit after I redid all the connections. I am not sure if that is the item showing as disk 2 or if that is the HDD that I need to recover now that I have cloned it

USAFRet

Titan
Disk 1 is the new SSD, the C drive?
If so, DO NOT CHANGE THAT DRIVE LETTER.

And the HDD is not "(Disk 1 Partition 2) I am assuming that is the original HDD? "

I am entirely unsure of what drive is which.
Power OFF
Disconnect ALL drives except the new SSD.
Power up, and investigate Disk Management
Which drive does that show? Disk 1?
Then, reconnect the other drives, one by one repeating the Disk Management thing. So that you will KNOW which drives are which.

boogieman.zhou

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019
Yeah I had done that part prior. The issue was that I think my motherboard is odd from what I can tell. If I hooked the other drive I had cloned up with the SSD at the same time it couldn't figure out which drive to boot from and just kept retrying. I ended up doing something I would have preferred not to. I set up the hotswapping and just booted to the SSD and then connected the other drive after it was all up and running. That let me reformat and change the letter on it and then I restarted again and all is fine now. Now I just need to follow your earlier guide I am guessing to fix all the odd Healthy OEM partitions... it has like 4 of those and a healthy efi partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.