Question SSD randomly died and shows only 1GB in Bios

Sep 16, 2024
Hello fellow tech people who probably know a lot more about drives than me.

In December of 2023, I bought a Crucial BX500 SSD with 1TB of storage.

I have used it to store a lot of data and many games.

It worked fine until today when it randomly disconnected and showed up in BIOS as 1GB.

Explorer won't recognize it and the partition manager wants me to initialize it to GPT or MBR (which I haven't tried since there are important files on the drive)

I have tried to use TestDisk but it also says the drive has 1GB and it says, that if the storage space isn't displayed as it should be, not to use the program, so I didn't use it.

What can I do to at least save my data (I have spare HDDs I could use to save it and then just buy a new SSD) or maybe even recover the entire drive to working condition? RMA is obviously out of the question because of the data on it.

If I am able to, I will attach the Event-Viewer File from when it happened but I doubt it will be of much use.

Sorry for making such an impossible request, but I am at wit's end. Thank you in advance to anyone who helps or tries to help.

ssd.evtx on GDrive

Sep 16, 2024
Where is the backup you made BEFORE this happened? With a failure of this type you are unlikely to ever see your data again.
I never really made backups of entire drives, because I just started to earn the money to even buy new drives to backup other drives on. I have only done backups of specific files. Until now only hdds died on me and I don't keep important data on hdds.
But okay, lesson learned, drives always have a medium chance of just dying, regardless of age or usage.
Do you think a data recovery service might be able to get my data? Or is this not worth the money?

USAFRet

Titan
I never really made backups of entire drives, because I just started to earn the money to even buy new drives to backup other drives on. I have only done backups of specific files. Until now only hdds died on me and I don't keep important data on hdds.
But okay, lesson learned, drives always have a medium chance of just dying, regardless of age or usage.
Do you think a data recovery service might be able to get my data? Or is this not worth the money?
Any storage device is liable to die, at any moment.

How much is the data worth to you? It might cost a significant amount, just to have a "recovery company" tell you "too bad, so sad'