SSD reads as a USB Drive

runemine120

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
SSD is being read as a USB Drive and unable to see in disk management. SSD worked fine before but only recently had this happen.

Unable to format the drive. Tried to reconnect to different sata ports to see if that would do anything with no luck. Everything is set up fine in the BIOS.

This happened not too long after the Windows 10 upgrade but unsure if it is directly related.

It is a SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Any help is appreciated.
25u06yq.png

2415aqa.png

npgkuw.png

20k6v6v.png

It used to at least show the drive space under properties.

Have no other system in my house at the moment with a sata port to test it on, cause that would tell me if it was hardware or driver related at least.

Solution
It was probably Windows 10 that partitioned it into 4 logicals. You probably already know this, but you can delete 3 of the partitions, and extend the first partition to include the unallocated space that will be there after deleting the other 3. Then perhaps you will be able to install the OS on it. I would do a clean install as your current C drive has too much stuff on it. (unless you want to partition the C drive and move non OS stuff to the new partitions.
Hey there, runemine120.

Try the drive with a different computer if possible, to see if the same thing happens. How is it read as an external drive, but not recognized by Disk Management? A screenshot of what you see in Disk Management and Device Manager might prove useful.
You could also try reinstalling or updating your chipset drivers, to see if that changes anything.
Check for any available firmware updates for that SSD model.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

runemine120

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Finally got it to work, had to uninstall it from the device manager 5 times before it finally read it correctly. Then after that it for whatever reason auto partitioned itself into 4 logical drives.

Either way in the end it finally got resolved, goes to show that even when you do the correct fix once it doesn't always work on the first try.... sometimes it take 5. Funny part is i was going to use this to migrate my OS to but EaseUS partition master says 128GB is too small go figure....

It was probably Windows 10 that partitioned it into 4 logicals. You probably already know this, but you can delete 3 of the partitions, and extend the first partition to include the unallocated space that will be there after deleting the other 3. Then perhaps you will be able to install the OS on it. I would do a clean install as your current C drive has too much stuff on it. (unless you want to partition the C drive and move non OS stuff to the new partitions.

Solution