[SOLVED] SSD security

Status
Not open for further replies.

wogfor

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
This is a question I ask out of curiosity mostly. In days gone by when you retired, sold or gave away old computers, it was recommended to "wipe" spinning drives with programs that would delete and overwrite the disk to prevent possible recovery of sensitive information.

Is this an issue with solid state drives? I know it it a totally different process they use to store information. I even wonder about other portable devices, like tablets and phones. I know there is a lot of information in my phone.

As I said, I am curious at this point.

Solution
All SSD's support a secure erase function that 0's out all cells and returns the drive to factory condition. Absolutely nothing of the original data will exist after this is run. You do not want to run this function too often as it touches every single cell and increments their write cycles by 1 each and every time it's run.
All SSD's support a secure erase function that 0's out all cells and returns the drive to factory condition. Absolutely nothing of the original data will exist after this is run. You do not want to run this function too often as it touches every single cell and increments their write cycles by 1 each and every time it's run.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.