[SOLVED] SSD seems to be running hot and slowing down a LOT (Crucial BX500 240GB)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2019
Hello everyone, I seem to be having a problem with my new SSD.
I noticed that when installing games from steam to the SSD windows slowed down quite a bit and that made me wonder if anything was wrong so I checked the SSD temperatures and it was running at 74C.
After that I began testing some things and found out that while trying to copy an 8GB ISO file the copying speed started at around 400MB/s, then after a couple seconds dropped down to about 200MB/s (pretty normal so far), but then as soon as the SSD hit 55C it slowed down to a crawl, I mean less than 10MB/s, then spiked up to about 120MB/s, then down again, and so on until it finished copying the file.

Does it make sense that and SSD slows down so much when it reaches around 55C?
Please help!

First few seconds of the copying process (you can see the SSD temps on the left, S.M.A.R.T.: CT240...)

ai2tyZW.jpg

Then after a few seconds it slows down (see temperatures)

KHcUUcJ.jpg

Here you can see the spikes in the graph

4iarEJ5.jpg

Solution
Aug 14, 2019
how old is the SSD? Crucial SSD's come with a limited 3 year factory warrenty

1 month old only. I'm going to try to get it replaced by the guys that sold it to me first, if they decline then I'm contacting Crucial directly. I'm from Argentina so it's easier for me to try to get it replaced by these guys first,

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2019
Looks like normal throttling qlc write mode, meant to be around 100Mb/s, and that program might not be reading the smart data correctly. Try crucial storage executive to read the smart data correctly.
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-storage-executive

Would you be so kind as to benchmark your BX500 with HD Tune just to be sure it's not mine acting up?

Crucial storage executive shows this, seems pretty ok to me
Cme92rp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.