Question SSD seen as external - but not internal

n20capri

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Brand new PC build - Asus Prime z790-a MB. Everything dialed and running smooth. M.2 nvme with windows 10 Pro. Setup and install was smooth. All Asus drivers installed and zero device manager exclamations. Everything works.

Installed an internal data drive (5tb Toshiba HDD) from the old machine - new machine sees it fine. Finalized installing my programs - all good - Got a new Samsung 8tb SSD I want to use internally instead (realized the Toshiba is like 10 years old now!) Plugged it in via USB first - copied data over to it. Windows saw it fine. Swapped Toshiba out, for the new 8tb Samsung using same sata cables that the Toshiba was using fine, and now windows doesn't see it. Bios sees the NVME as boot, and the Samsung as secondary (AHCI). All sata ports in the bios are enabled.

Device manager sees it fine. (Tried update driver, uninstall rescan etc - no change) Disk Management sees it online, however, every option is grayed out. 2048 of it is Healthy active GPT and the other is 5404 unallocated. Like I said, all right click options are grayed out. Manage Storage Spaces doesn't see it. Disk Part sees it as Disk 0, but list partition only sees 1 partition and that's the 2048 part.

If I pull it out and plug it in via USB 3 - all good. Driving me nuts what am I missing?
Thanks
Mike

If I pull it out and plug it in via USB 3 - all good. Driving me nuts what am I missing?
Don't use USB sata adapter. Adapter is messing things up.
Adapter uses different sector size than internal sata controller.
Drive has to be reformatted and re-partitioned, if you want to move it from USB sata adapter to internally connected.

Install samsung 8TB SSD internally. Then copy your data.

Last edited:

n20capri

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Don't use USB sata adapter. Adapter is messing things up.
Adapter uses different sector size than internal sata controller.
Drive has to be reformatted and re-partitioned, if you want to move it from USB sata adapter to internally connected.

Install samsung 8TB SSD internally. Then copy your data.
I was hoping that wasn't the case lol. How to format though since it's not seen when installed internally? Thanks

n20capri

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Go to Disk Management.
Delete every partition on Samsung 8TB drive.
Convert drive to GPT.
Create desired partition configuration (partition/partitions), format, assign drive letters.
Copy your data.
That's that I mean - can't do ANYTHING in Disk Management - I just ended up doing diskpart, list disk, select disk, clean - once I did that I now had options in Disk Management - I just formatted in Disk Part since it was open. Gonna take a while. Appreciate all the help.