Question SSD showing up as partition with no options

Oct 10, 2020
So I just installed Windows 10 after 2 years of not having made a clean install, I have 3 disks: 1 SSD 240gb which is my old windows drive, 1 new SSD NVMe 500gb which I installed Windows 10 into and an HDD 1 Tb almost full of files. So heres what happened when I was at the windows 10 installation setup and it prompted me to choose which drive to install my windows in, before I chose my new 500gb SSD I selected my old one and pressed format thinking I should clean the old one as I will be using it as well. The result is my old SSD is now showing up as a partition in disk management and there are no options to set it. It does not let me format or delete volume as it says there are system files inside, it does not show up in My Pc with the other 2 disks. PLEASE help!

Oct 10, 2020
Wait so I reinstall windows amd pray? Why does it not boot with only the nvme ssd connected? If it fixes it I'm all for it but you seem to be suggesting it as a gamble to see if everything works Haha

Also If you could tell me how to command line diskpart and at what stage exactly

USAFRet

Titan
No, not 'pray'. A proper install.

After it is all running on the NVMe, then you reconnect the 250GB.

Diskpart:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-clean-and-format-storage-drive-using-diskpart-windows-10

Oct 10, 2020
Yeah I hear you but what's wrong with the installation I did? I just made the mistake of meddling with the old ssd cant I diskpart clean it now? Also it confuses me why it does not boot when I have only the nvme connected its wire cause it has OS inside

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah I hear you but what's wrong with the installation I did? I just made the mistake of meddling with the old ssd cant I diskpart clean it now? Also it confuses me why it does not boot when I have only the nvme connected its wire cause it has OS inside
Because the boot partition is residing on the other drive, the 250GB. And consuming almost all of it.
Windows has a dumb habit of doing this when more than one drive is connected.

Oct 10, 2020
Ok so I reinstalled windows with only the nvme connected, then plugged in the other drives amd the 250 showed up just fine! But I did the diskpart clean just to be sure and now it's all unallocated space and when right click theres no option to create new volume what the heck

Edit: nvm once I closed amd re opened disk management it prompted me to initialize the disk which didn't even show up before in disk management so i guess we cool now! Thanks a lot you helped me immensely

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so I reinstalled windows with only the nvme connected, then plugged in the other drives amd the 250 showed up just fine! But I did the diskpart clean just to be sure and now it's all unallocated space and when right click theres no option to create new volume what the heck

Edit: nvm once I closed amd re opened disk management it prompted me to initialize the disk which didn't even show up before in disk management so i guess we cool now! Thanks a lot you helped me immensely
Yep.
After the Clean, you need to reinitialize.

Good that its all working!

the partition drive 1 is still marked as system and Active, you can try marking your boot partition C: as System and Active in a 3rd pty partition manager and then booting off the single NVMe
Wait so I reinstall windows amd pray? Why does it not boot with only the nvme ssd connected? If it fixes it I'm all for it but you seem to be suggesting it as a gamble to see if everything works Haha

Also If you could tell me how to command line diskpart and at what stage exactly

TRENDING THREADS