SSD shows 0% fitness on S.M.A.R.T., Current Pending Sector Count has warning

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
Hello,
So to start the SSD isn't mine, it's my best friend's. I can't tell you specifically what make the SSD is, because I wasn't the one who advised him on what one to buy and he wouldn't know how to check what it is.
In speedfan, the SSD shows 0% fitness, and the Current Pending Sector Count has a warning, with the values as follows:
Value - 100
Worst -100
Warn - 50
He has blizzard launcher and origin on his SSD as well as windows, and both launchers needed reinstalling because they threw up a missing dll error. He also can't access the start menu or left click on anything in the system tray.
It also came up saying repairing C drive multiple times when he turned his PC on.
Now I think it's about to die, and two of my friends are of the same opinion, however, my best friend would like a fourth opinion as to whether his drive is recoverable or not, because if not this is the second SSD that's died in just over a year.
I've told him to accept it's dead, but he's going to try reinstalling windows and see if it fixes it, before he installs windows to his E drive.
Basically, what I'm asking is does the drive sound like a goner to you guys?

Solution
Any major manufacturer generally has their name on the outer casing, and any tools that can pull the smart data can pull the drive I.D. Even Your standard disk management tools built into windows can tell you what the drive identifies as. Any tool which pulls S.M.A.R.T. data can pull the usual drive health information.

Current Pending Sector Count indicates the current count of unstable sectors waiting for remapping.

You can of course recover information off the drive CURRENTLY. SSDs often fail completely by having no access at all ie. "bricked". Backup any needed data to a mechanical drive. You may have to use an external dock on another computer and turn that on after booting the other system, thus able to access the ssd just...
Any major manufacturer generally has their name on the outer casing, and any tools that can pull the smart data can pull the drive I.D. Even Your standard disk management tools built into windows can tell you what the drive identifies as. Any tool which pulls S.M.A.R.T. data can pull the usual drive health information.

Current Pending Sector Count indicates the current count of unstable sectors waiting for remapping.

You can of course recover information off the drive CURRENTLY. SSDs often fail completely by having no access at all ie. "bricked". Backup any needed data to a mechanical drive. You may have to use an external dock on another computer and turn that on after booting the other system, thus able to access the ssd just as a data drive.

One does have to wonder how you kill 2 SSDs in a year. Unlike mechanical drives, it is best to leave a good margin of space free on an SSD that is sustaining a lot of writes. Is this drive nearly full all the time? Curious as to brand and size. Please remember, there is ALOT of telemetry and tmp writing going on in the background unless you disable it. Is the drive in a high heat environment?

Depending on drive manufacturer and support, you can try

A long format may cause the drive to reallocate, but will burn a write cycle. If the cell is marginal it may hold the data correctly during the check THEN later loose integrity.

Secure Erase the drive to reset it to factory state.

Use the manufacturer's tools to inspect the drive's heath state.

At this point the drive is suspect until proven otherwise.

Solution
Hello Avatar_Aleks. Each drive manufacture has its own testing software and this will give you the best indication of the state of the drive as the software was designed for that specific brand. Using a third party diagnostic could misinterpret the information coming from the drive and could give you erroneous data.

For example, Seagate drives use Seatools for drive diagnostics.

USAFRet

Titan

"reinstalling to his E drive"....will wipe out whatever is on that drive, and it won't be the E drive anymore.
Its just another physical drive.

For the supposedly dead SSD, discover whatever the manufacturer testing tool is, and use that.