SSD shows in BIOS & Device Manager, but not in Disk Management, unable to format.

blukens

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
How do I format an SSD in Windows 10? It shows up in the BIOS, and under Device Manager in the the Disk Drives folder,.
I am baffled by this simple task in Windows 10. I installed a Centon SSD 128gb, Model R1-CT-SSD3-2.5-128GB-001 using the SATA connections in my home assembled machine.

It shows up in the BIOS as SSD SATA Disk, and in the Windows 10 Deice Manager under the Disk Drives Folder. I am an old DOS guy, back to the Sinclair Timex Z80 days, so I have a pretty good understanding of the basics, but Win10 gets me.

I have found the Computer Management box by searching for Computer Management, and the SSD does not show up there, but since it shows up under the Device Manager, I have some hope. Any ideas? I am sure it is one of those Duh! moments, but I am getting more and more of those as I age not so gracefully... Thanks!

Here are the screen shots of what I see-

SSD%20shows%20in%20Device%20Manager_zpsec2aai6g.jpg

SSD%20does%20not%20show%20in%20Disk%20Management_zpstwctvu8e.jpg

Well the only thing I can think of trying is to uninstall the disk in Device Manager and reinstalling it. It almost seems as if it is being seen but not fully initializing. It is possible that it could be bad.

Right click on the SSD and select "Uninstall". The click on the icon on top of the Device Manager that has a screen with a magnifying glass. That should re-detect it.

blukens

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I had to edit to add the screen shots... As you can see, Disk Management does not have the SSD listed, just the 4 HDs and 2 CD/DVDs. I have changed the SATA port, and while it changed the location in the BIOS, as it should, it cannot be reached or assigned a letter. I am sure I am missing something simple, I have been around since the CPM days, and this is my 1st SSD.

Well a SSD acts just like a HDD. When connected to the SATA port it should just plug and play then initialize in Disk Management. It is not doing the last step which means it is either a faulty HDD, faulty SATA cable or bad driver. I would try the driver first, update your SATA drivers and reinstall the SSD, then move to the hardware side of things.

You really did not miss anything simple. You plugged the SSD into the port and power and it should be all you need to do.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Go to the website of the company in question and look for a driver download for the product in their support area. Install said driver. Some SSD"s are RAID controllers with several SSD's bunched together and require the driver from the company that developed it to be fully recognized.

I hignly doubt this is it since this is a 2.5" SATA SSD and not a PCIe SSD. Most PCIe SSDs have some special driver, or M.2, but SATA should be SATA.

blukens

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
It is a Centon C-380 Series 120GB, should be a generic type SSD. The Centon site does not have any specific drivers.

Since it shows in the BIOS, and I can select it to the various boot disk locations etc says it is being read by the system. And since it shows in Device Manager properly tells me it is being read by Win 10, but beyond that, there is something not right, either a check box or other setting somewhere.

I have a mix of USB, IDE, and SATA drives in this machine. I may have to just disconnect the others one at at time. and reboot. tedious, but hey, that is Microsoft's middle name!

I have seen several other entries in the forums with similar problems, with a variety of fixes...