[SOLVED] SSD slow boot

May 3, 2013
Greetings all, I am using a 850 evo SSD which did the job perfectly, however, after a while I noticed the boot from 3-5 seconds now takes 1-2 minutes which is inconsiderable and seriously annoying. I found out that my brother did some changes around for an online interview he had, he installed or configured the disk to perform some tasks from distance (virtualization) or something similar. I found 2 or 3 partitions as folders on my pc which I removed one way or another without being sure if they were indeed actually removed. I dried tweeking the motherboard, updated the bios etc., however nothing really changes. As a final resort I reinstalled windows but the problem persists, by now I am sure that it has something to do with the motherboard and the SSD, are there are settings that would require the SSD to run so slow in order to perform certain tasks? and how do I track them and remove them? Please help !!

Solution
Are you possibly conducting a memory test as part of the boot process?
That is a Bios option.

See if things change if you boot in safe mode(f8) That will boot only with essential software and drivers.
If that goes quickly then start looking for the item in the start process that is taking time.
May 3, 2013

Already did it, it is up-to-date and the disk's health is good! It clearly has nothing to do with the quality/health of the disk but rather with some settings my brother changed.

When you reinstalled windows, all the relevant settings should have been reset to a relevant default.
One can disable drive write cacheing which will result in slightly slower operation so that might be one thing to look for.
In device manager, look at the properties for your drive.

May 3, 2013

Nop, nothing new..

Are you possibly conducting a memory test as part of the boot process?
That is a Bios option.

See if things change if you boot in safe mode(f8) That will boot only with essential software and drivers.
If that goes quickly then start looking for the item in the start process that is taking time.

Solution