[SOLVED] SSD slow down when full

christoffe93

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
Hi guys just wondering what specification I should be looking out for when buying a new SSD to avoid drastic slow downs as the drive starts to get full? Thanks.

Solution
I actually don't need more than 30 GB for Windows and apps.
I am not a gamer but have some ISO's for the PS2 emulator that I store on another HDD.
what is better then, a partition of 100GB and 400GB unallocated or a partition say it 450GB and 50GB for over-provisioning. ???
"30GB for Windows" is NOT viable.
Unless you use it ONLY as a web browser system. Even then, Windows Updates will kill that space
It is never "only Windows".

Min size for the C partition or drive needs to be 250GB or larger.

Partitioning on an SSD is mostly irrelevant.
On an HDD, those are physical delineations of the actual platters.
The outer portions of the platter are actually faster, and faster access than the inner portions.

On the SSD, it is...
D

Deleted member 14196

they all slow down when full. Best thing to do to avoid slowdowns with ANY ssd is Overprovision it. leave about 15% of the total space unallocated. Then the controller uses that unallocated space to do TRIM and maintenance of the SSD, and totally avoids the slowdown once filled.

D

Deleted member 14196

so if we have enough with 100GB and leave 400GB out for overprovisioning will it slow down when it's full ?
10-15% of total disk space should be unallocated.

for example a 500GB SSD, you should leave 75GB unallocated for 15%. Samsung's often ship with a 10% OP or the app for the SSD defaults to that.

in that way, once it is full at 400+GB it won't slow down

To pick a number out of the air, 90% full might be the point.
Even then, you will probably not notice slowness until you are very close to out.
90% is where you would be planning for an increase in capacity, regardless.
FWIW; microsoft flight simulator 2020 needs 150gb.
I need to upgrade early.

christoffe93

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2013
To pick a number out of the air, 90% full might be the point.
Even then, you will probably not notice slowness until you are very close to out.
90% is where you would be planning for an increase in capacity, regardless.
FWIW; microsoft flight simulator 2020 needs 150gb.
I need to upgrade early.
Do you know if there's a specific specification to measure how well a SSD with preform when almost full compare to another drive under the same conditions?

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
? If you are only using 100 GB of 500 GB, then it's not full.

If there's something else you're trying to ask about, I think you need to be a bit more clear.

let's say I have a 500GB SSD and I only create a 100GB partition for Windows and apps.
if I leave 400GB out for over-provisioning will my SSD work better and last longer when the 100GB partition is full ?
400GB represents far more than 25% although other people do recommend 10% or 15% for over-provisioning

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
D

Deleted member 14196

well, it's up to you. force yourself with OP or just get a bigger or extra storage when you hit about 90% capacity

dreamteam

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
That would mean ~80% of SSD capacity is wasted and unusable. Obviously this is excessive.
10 - 15% for overprovisioning is plenty.

I am not a gamer but have some ISO's for the PS2 emulator that I store on another HDD for safety reasons.

¿¿ what is better then, a partition of 100GB and 400GB unallocated space or a partition say it 450GB and 50GB for over-provisioning. ??

USAFRet

Titan
I am not a gamer but have some ISO's for the PS2 emulator that I store on another HDD.
what is better then, a partition of 100GB and 400GB unallocated or a partition say it 450GB and 50GB for over-provisioning. ???
"30GB for Windows" is NOT viable.
Unless you use it ONLY as a web browser system. Even then, Windows Updates will kill that space
It is never "only Windows".

Min size for the C partition or drive needs to be 250GB or larger.

Partitioning on an SSD is mostly irrelevant.
On an HDD, those are physical delineations of the actual platters.
The outer portions of the platter are actually faster, and faster access than the inner portions.

On the SSD, it is merely a logical separation that the drive and OS shows you. The drive firmware shuffles data around as it sees fit. You, the user, has no influence over which 'cells' that data lives in.

Solution