SSD SPEED and PERFORMANCE

ethan hunt

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2013
Hey guys.
Please help me, i'm little confused...
How can SSD (sata, not m.2 coz they have their specific ports) be better at reading and writing speed when a MoBo can only support 6gbps SATA Ports??
No matter how much speed SSD can carry but MoBo can only perform/receive as it is capable, ryt?
Please guide me in this regard...

Solution
Solid state drives (ssd) uses flash memory chips, not like a hdd with spinning platters.

Ssds are so much quicker in read, write and locating files.

Windows and games will load quicker, copying and installing software will be much faster.

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
"Better at reading and writing speed" than what? What are you comparing against?

It can't exceed the motherboard SATA3 6Gbps performance. However most SSD do not even consistently saturate the SATA3 6Gbps to start with. Hard drives do not even come close.

ethan hunt

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2013

Thx. And agst HDD, u know regular 7200rpm 1tb 2tb HardDisk.
So how's SSD better if both disks (SSD & HDD) is performing at same speed??
Will this be an actual upgrade or i'll be wasting my money only ??

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Solid state drives (ssd) uses flash memory chips, not like a hdd with spinning platters.

Ssds are so much quicker in read, write and locating files.

Windows and games will load quicker, copying and installing software will be much faster.

Solution

Jamie_69

Respectable
Dec 20, 2016
They are not performing at the same speed. The sata 6gb/s is the maximum the port can provide, not how much the drive can provide. A regular hdd will be absolutely nowhere near the maximum speed a sata connection is capable of.

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017

Where do you get the idea they perform at the same speed? If you can find me that hard drive that perform at the same speed as an SSD and priced like a harddrive, I'd buy that hard drive without a second thought. But you'll probably have to look in an alternate universe to find one.