SSD stays on harddisk in pc case

triangle3

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
i have bought a new ssd and i couldnt find a place to put it till now. But i used it directly on the hard drive (hdd case) some of people say hdd has a magnetic field around it so im very afraid that ssd got damaged. (there is nothing between ssd and hdd they are adjoining above themselves and i worked my ssd for 12 hours.) im very afraid if it got damaged.

Solution
You put it right above the HDD, i mean, almost glued to it, or on another HDD port inside the case?

If latter, absolutely safe, no damage at all there, friend. If former, the heat will be your only problem then.

It indeed has a magnectic field, but it's inside it, otherwise everytime you touch it you would completely destroy the HDD, and that field isn't strong enough to mess up with others SSD or HDD.

I have my SSD in a HDD port for more than two years and haven't had a single problem with it. :)

Cheers

manddy123

Admirable
You put it right above the HDD, i mean, almost glued to it, or on another HDD port inside the case?

If latter, absolutely safe, no damage at all there, friend. If former, the heat will be your only problem then.

It indeed has a magnectic field, but it's inside it, otherwise everytime you touch it you would completely destroy the HDD, and that field isn't strong enough to mess up with others SSD or HDD.

I have my SSD in a HDD port for more than two years and haven't had a single problem with it. :)

Cheers

Solution

Spinachy

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Magnetic fields outside a HDD are nothing to worry about. Your friends are just kidding you. If what your friends are telling you is right, then we would not be able to stack hard drives on top of each other (which we do every day in a server environment).

Magnetic field is not the problem - Adequate ventilation is. If the SSD gets too hot, it will slow down. I suggest rather mount your SSD near to a fan. Ideally, it should be mounted in a spare HDD space. If your case does not have a proper 2.5" mount, you can use double-sided tape for the mounting, perhaps putting it on the inside of a case cover.

TRENDING THREADS