Question Ssd stopped working makes weird noise

Absolute.Red

Commendable
Jun 17, 2020
My crucial mx500 that i bought in 2020 just randomly stopped working. I had the os on it so the os suddenly froze and pc restarted and i got the message of no boot device found.

So i changed the sata cable, sata power cable, used the ssd in a usb enclosure, put in a different pc and nothing worked. It's just straight not recognised by anything.

Now the weird part is when i plug it in, it makes a sharp screeching noise. Its not too loud but if i put my ear on the ssd, the noise is like something is scratching something hard.

It is not a hum by the components but a severe screech.

Any idea what it could be?
I still have warranty so i am gonna try and rma it but i am just curious to know whats going on.
Anyway, Let's hope for the best.

Absolute.Red

Commendable
Jun 17, 2020
ssd shouldn't make sounds...

sounds like its dead or screaming in pain as it dies. Maybe controller chip... no moving parts so hard to say really.

Probably need to RMA it if its still under warranty.
I wonder what will happen to the data.
I mean i don't care if the data is completely lost as the drive was an OS drive with couple of games and apps and not important documents.
But i did have saved passwords on Chrome.
Will they get compromised?
I did have a password on the os but i don't think that matters if someone wants to read the drive contents

Colif

Win 11 Master
So i changed the sata cable, sata power cable, used the ssd in a usb enclosure, put in a different pc and nothing worked. It's just straight not recognised by anything.
But i did have saved passwords on Chrome.
Will they get compromised?

your first quote shows that if they did want your passwords, they would have to do a lot of work to recover them.
Only way to be sure they safe would be not RMA drive and instead just buy a new one/keep the old one.

I feel you pretty safe. I don't know what the procedure is for returned products. It doesn't work in its current form. Even if they sold it again, it still doesn't work.