SSD Storage question

clyde777

Proper
Oct 8, 2018
I am putting together a new gaming pc build and my last part is storage. Money is no issue for this build so with that should I get 1 2tb ssd or 2 1tb ssd's. Can only having 1 storage option cause issues? Also would 2 1tb ssd be the same as having 1 ssd and 1 hdd?

Solution
Well in terms of protecting data and speeds I would say get to different SSDS. One for OS and one for Data. This is standard for many reasons but the two biggest are that, you can write and read from both drives without effecting speeds. Such as OS reading data and a video game or video on the storage disk reading/writing data without slowing performance. Another reason to have two drives is incase the OS drive dies. You'd be able to pull out the storage drive and still retain all your data.

I would recommend getting a smaller drive like a 250gb or 500gb for your OS and only install OS on it. Then put your other SSD (1TB or 2TB) in as a secondary drive for data, games, video etc...

Or if you really want just the extra space and don't...
Well in terms of protecting data and speeds I would say get to different SSDS. One for OS and one for Data. This is standard for many reasons but the two biggest are that, you can write and read from both drives without effecting speeds. Such as OS reading data and a video game or video on the storage disk reading/writing data without slowing performance. Another reason to have two drives is incase the OS drive dies. You'd be able to pull out the storage drive and still retain all your data.

I would recommend getting a smaller drive like a 250gb or 500gb for your OS and only install OS on it. Then put your other SSD (1TB or 2TB) in as a secondary drive for data, games, video etc...

Or if you really want just the extra space and don't care. Then use the 1TB for your OS and 1-2TB for data. Either way, results will be the same.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

Steam games, you can install on multiple drives at the same time:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder
-----------------------------

And it is never a good idea to let an SSD get "full". Leave about 20% free.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes.
Most things...Games, applications, whatever...you can install on whichever drive you choose.
You just have to make that choice as you go through their individual installer.