SSD Stress Test

G

Hello all,

I'm currently doing an experiment for school. I am testing how different parts of a computer use the most energy, and subsequently cause my laptop's battery to have a higher discharge rate.

I don't have much experience in storage devices, but I was wondering how I would go about a "stress test" for my SSD. My aim is to have it constantly reading and writing, until my laptop runs out of power.

If any of you could suggest a program to do so, that would be great.

Solution
BAPCo makes the industry standard test for what you are doing, MobileMark 2014. I run it in nearly all of my SSD reviews under the Notebook Battery Life name. If you email BAPCo they may send you a copy to use.

Over the years I've tested different notebook storage, system memory (DDR3 vs. Low Power DDR3) and different processors for power consumption.

Due to the way system storage works and the way dynamic power works, your read and write test will not give an accurate result. System busses and SSDs are made to "burst" for a few seconds and then drop back down to a low power state as quickly as possible.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
BAPCo makes the industry standard test for what you are doing, MobileMark 2014. I run it in nearly all of my SSD reviews under the Notebook Battery Life name. If you email BAPCo they may send you a copy to use.

Over the years I've tested different notebook storage, system memory (DDR3 vs. Low Power DDR3) and different processors for power consumption.

Due to the way system storage works and the way dynamic power works, your read and write test will not give an accurate result. System busses and SSDs are made to "burst" for a few seconds and then drop back down to a low power state as quickly as possible.

Solution
G

Thanks for the reply

CrystalDiskMark takes about 10-20 minutes per test, If I were to use this it would mean constantly starting and stopping the benchmark, for the duration of the experiment. Ill look into BAPCo though, thanks!

I have a few more questions:

• Does the is the BAPCo software specifically designed to test power consumption, or is it just a benchmark in general?

What other hardware components do you have experience with testing for power consumption?

And lastly, when I refer to the "HWiNFO" program, is gives me a discharge rate of my battery. Its usually around 6000-9000mW, but It doesn't specify the period of time. Would it be 6000-9000mW per hour?
Thanks alot, your help is greatly appreciated!