[SOLVED] SSD suddenly become unallocated space

Spectatroll

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
i was having problem with my GPU in here
idk if that has connection but at one point i keep powering my pc off and on, could that broke my SSD?
My HDD which is older is just fine however, i gave up and try to install windows again to SSD which somehow says that its "unallocated space" now, but i cant format or create partition with it, tried cleaning it with diskpart and it doesnt do anything, anyone got a solution why?

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to see what BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard. If you have BIOS updates pending, it's a good idea to gradually work your way to the latest as opposed to jumping onto the latest BIOS update/version.

You need to mention the make and models of your storage devices, the other thread doesn't have them there either. In fact, I'm contemplating merging both threads since they are along the same lines of issue(IMHO). What OS version are(were) you on for your platform?

Spectatroll

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
Last time i checked the mobo already comes with the newest BIOS. The SSD with problem is an Apacer AS340 960GB, and the OS i ran was windows 10 pro.
Also in the BIOS the SSD is detected just fine, it was just when i try to reinstall windows when i see the SSD changed to "unallocated space", but with lower size now(it was exactly 960GB, but now it only show the size as 894GB)and it seems that all the data inside of it is gone because it was available 894GB and free space is 894GB(im not sure about this part because ive read some people with SSD suddenly become unallocated space and the data inside was gone but the person managed to recover all of it back), i will try to revive the SSD using parted magic, then if the BIOS has a new version i will update that too.
i dont know about merging the thread since the SSD wasnt really problem in with the GPU one, it was only when i kept powering the pc off and on to find the problem where i think i corrupted the SSD or something. i will update the first thread too because i have an update on the GPU specific issue.

Last edited:

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
The SSD went from being perfectly fine to having unallocated space?
That happened to my grandpa, too - he had a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 250GB with Windows 10 on it.
Next day, everything's gone. They decide to give the system to be because the Core i5-4570 in it wasn't powerful enough anymore. I think they have a Core i7 7th gen or later now.

It saved my butt when my iMac G5 HDD died.

Spectatroll

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
The SSD went from being perfectly fine to having unallocated space?
That happened to my grandpa, too - he had a Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SATA III 250GB with Windows 10 on it.
Next day, everything's gone. They decide to give the system to be because the Core i5-4570 in it wasn't powerful enough anymore. I think they have a Core i7 7th gen or later now.

It saved my butt when my iMac G5 HDD died.
the pc is just new, my processor is i9-9900K.. could it still be that the processor is problematic?

Spectatroll

Reputable
Jul 24, 2016
Whenever your drive shows unallocated space in Disk Management, the data on the drive will be inaccessible, or else there is another situation: there is no disk space shown in Disk Management. There are a few possible reasons behind the issue as listed below:

1. File system corruption.
  2. Virus infection.
  3. Bad blocks and sectors.
  4. MBR damage.
  5. Connection problem.
You can give a try to below mentioned 2 different methods to resolve the issue:

Method 1. Use Disk Management to fix not initialized error on an SSD drive
Method 2. Run CMD to repair I/O device error on not initialized SSD drive

Hope it will help you.
i cant even access the SSD properly at all.. any process trying to do it will say that there is a problem or error, i already rma the SSD