Question SSD swap

Feb 20, 2019
I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7559 laptop with a 1T HDD and 120GB M.2 SSD. I am running out of space on my SSD so I want to upgrade to a 1T SSD. I'm not worried about reinstalling my programs since I can easily install them back and I already have my important files on my Cloud.

Only problem is my Windows 10 OS is on my SSD. What can I do to swap out my SSD and install Windows on my larger SSD?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you're fine reinstalling programs/files etc, you can simply create installation media from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Physically swap out the SSD, boot from the USB you created and follow the prompts. SKip when asked for a license, as you'll reactive when back online (assuming it's currently activated, and you reinstall the same version of Windows - Home, Pro etc)

Feb 20, 2019
If you're fine reinstalling programs/files etc, you can simply create installation media from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Physically swap out the SSD, boot from the USB you created and follow the prompts. SKip when asked for a license, as you'll reactive when back online (assuming it's currently activated, and you reinstall the same version of Windows - Home, Pro etc)
Here's what I did (after creating the USB bootable ):
  1. I plugged in the USB, shut down the computer
  2. I replaced the old SSD with new SSD
  3. Pressed power button but nothing happened.
What's going wrong here?

Edit: I mean to say bootable USB from this video. It seems like I have to change my boot order?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2019
Yes nothing. Typically whenever I start my laptop, the keys light up, and Dell logo appears but when I tried booting it up with the new SSD/USB, the keyboard did not light up nor did the Dell logo appear.

I did some research on changing the boot priority but I am confused on what it does/long term affects.

From this guide it seems I can easily change the boot priority to the USB but would that mean I have to boot off my USB indefinitely until I change boot priority to the old SSD? To do what the guide says, I have to do this on my smaller SSD correct?

Assuming I correctly gave USB the highest boot priority, do I keep the USB in, restart the computer, turn it off, replace the old SSD with the new SSD, and then press the power button?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
You can usually change the boot priority as a 'one-off'. Ie a one-time override.
Failing that, you select the USB as priority #1 (and the [UEFI} labeled option). Once the system restarts after "getting files ready" etc, you can pull the USB - or you can reenter the BIOS and switch to the SSD/Boot Manager.

However, given there appears to be no sign of life currently, all of that is kind of a moot point.

Remove the charger & batter if removable. Then hold the power button down for ~10 seconds to fully drain the caps etc. Then reconnect the charger (not the battery) and see if the system will turn on.

What was the environment like where you changed the SSD? Were you on carpet, table etc...?