SSD Transfer from old PC to new PC

RebelPig

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
I have just built a new PC, installing Windows onto a fresh SSD purchased along side my new PC.

I want to take my old SSD out of my old PC to use in my new PC, but I'm not sure if it is as simple as just plugging it in, to use along side the newly purchased SSD.
Is it possible to keep the data on the old SSD and view it on my new PC, or do I have to wipe the SSD before installing it into my new PC?

Thank you,
Joe

Solution
Also in disk management, make sure the secondary drive is NOT set for boot or system.

Wherever you installed Steam to is the default. Cleaning up the old steam directory would be recommended however if using a separate drive to clean up the date that is duplicated
No wipe is necessary, but you do need to make sure only one system drive and bootloader is specified.

Also to consider, is the wasted space on the old SSD by the operating system, etc. Any programs you are using on the new ssd will need to be reinstalled anyways.

In my case, I would copy over the files I wished to retain, then clear the ssd. YMMV depending on your needs of course.

RebelPig

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

Any advice on how to ensure only one system drive and bootloader are specified? Im not too sure what you mean by this.

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
In BIOS/UEFI specify that you want to boot your main hard. Either by moving the old drive to the bottom of the list or removing it from the boot list entirely.

EDIT: usually can be access by pressing a key on the keyboard at launch. For me it's F11 and BIOS is DEL.

RebelPig

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014

Okay thank you for the response. My confusion would be, what if I have the same programs installed on both SSD's like steam for example. Wouldnt it get confused which to use?

Also in disk management, make sure the secondary drive is NOT set for boot or system.

Wherever you installed Steam to is the default. Cleaning up the old steam directory would be recommended however if using a separate drive to clean up the date that is duplicated

Solution