Question SSD Upgrade Path

Aug 2, 2020
Hello I need help as to choosing the right SSDs for my upgrade, using my PC for gaming and editing. Currently I have the ADATA SX8200 Pro 256gb on the M.2_1 of the MSI B450 Mortar Max (PCIe 3). I have another M.2 slot, but it runs at PCIe 2. I'm planning to buy:

1TB M.2 NVME SSD for the media files of projects (to be plugged into the PCIe 3 M.2_1 slot) and
500GB SATA for the OS, Software, and Games.

Leaving the 256gb SSD I have right now as the scratch disk and cache (to be transferred it to the PCIe 2 slot). Will my current 256gb SSD be bottlenecked? Am I better off getting a 1TB SATA SSD for project's media files instead?

popatim

Titan
I'm confused.
You said the 256 is going to be scratch and cache while the 1tb will be for projects.

As it stands,, no your 256 wont be bottlenecked as an S&C disk. And 1tb nvme is faster then 1tb sata for projects and media and since it sounds like this is an editing rig, I would go with the NVME.

Aug 2, 2020
I'm confused.
You said the 256 is going to be scratch and cache while the 1tb will be for projects.

As it stands,, no your 256 wont be bottlenecked as an S&C disk. And 1tb nvme is faster then 1tb sata for projects and media and since it sounds like this is an editing rig, I would go with the NVME.

Sorry for the confusion, the 1TB NVME will be for the project's media files. My concern is that the second M.2 slot only runs at PCIe 2x4, whereas the current 256gb NVME is PCIe 3