[SOLVED] SSD Upgrade Suggestion

npstewart87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Hello.

I had someone build me a computer in December 2019 (Specs below). At the time, they installed two SSDs; a 1TB and a 2TB. For some reason, they set windows up on the 1TB drive instead of the 2TB drive. In any case, the 1 TB is almost full and instead of moving everything over to the 2TB drive, I thought this may be a good time to upgrade to a better hard drive.

The other reason why I want to do this is because I upgraded to windows 11 and I feel like my PC isnt performing nearly as well so Im thinking a fresh install of Win 11 vs. the upgrade process may work better for me.

Question: I use my computer for work 12 hours per day. What is the top of the line HD that would work with my PC if my budget was $1000? Im looking for 2TB.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte Tech X570 Aorus XTREME
64.0 GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 Graphics Card
Hard Drive #1: Gigabyte GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD
Hard Drive #2: Gigabyte GP-ASM2NE6200TTTD
Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22000 Build 22000

Solution
If you windows 10 PRO you can just move all your documents to D drive, and then change the my docs location to D drive. (redirection)

Or

do the clone method, clone 1TB to 2TB drive.

Most people do the smaller drive for boot.

Unless if you have some really old drives I would not upgrade. Now if you move large CAD files and your on an really old 500/mb read/write SSD maybe maybe it might be worth it, but kinda still doubt it.

980 PRO 2TB
Sabrent Rocket gen 4 2TB
WD 850 2TB

etc are good drives.

I have a 3900x and their great little cpus.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB is only $300 or so and is the fastest SSD you can buy. It is barely any faster than your current drives however, which are both extremely quick.

Why aren’t you using your 2TB drive? Moving 500GB of stuff over to it would take all of five minutes.

The reason your PC is running slow is likely because you have filled up the C:\ drive and now windows has no space for virtual memory.

if you just move some stuff from your 1TB drive to your 2TB drive all will be well and you do not need to spend any money.

Doing a fresh install of windows 11 is not a bad idea, but buying another drive is totally not needed. You could just move any stuff that you wanted to keep from your 1TB drive to your 2TB drive, reinstall windows 11 from USB to the 1TB drive, then move the stuff back.

Last edited:

npstewart87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
Samsung 980 Pro 2TB is only $300 or so and is the fastest SSD you can buy.

But why aren’t you using your 2TB drive? Moving 500GB of stuff over to it would take all of five minutes.

The reason your PC is running slow is likely because you have filled up the C:\ drive and now windows has no space for virtual memory.

if you just move some stuff from your 1TB drive to your 2TB drive all will be well and you do not need to spend any money.

Most of everything on my hard drive is used for my work and my work requires consistent file paths for me and my employees so moving to a different drive will likely cause problems.

However, if the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB is equally as fast as my current 2TB then maybe it would make sense just to install windows on that one and move anything I need to.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How do you manage to fill up 1 TB's worth of SSD space? I have a 250GB Samsung 870 Evo which I use as my OS and app's drive. The 1TB Samsung 870 Evo is my storage drive, among two other 2.5"" 2TB hard drives. You should be better served by grabbing a smaller capacity SSD like 500GB for the OS and your app's, the files you render/create can then be stored onto the larger SSD's on your current platform.

As for an HDD, I'd look into 2x large platter drives, something like 4TB which can either be in RAID 1 or as is, but they are essentially a drive to house all your work and keep the SSD's empty.

Speaking of system's, what sort of app's do you work with and what sort of tasks do you do with that workstation?

npstewart87

Commendable
Dec 1, 2021
I work with CAD and Revit files. 1 Revit file with references can easily be 1.5GB. Most of my work is kept on dropbox but I dont want to use their cloud feature because it causes performance issues.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Most of everything on my hard drive is used for my work and my work requires consistent file paths for me and my employees so moving to a different drive will likely cause problems.

However, if the Samsung 980 Pro 2TB is equally as fast as my current 2TB then maybe it would make sense just to install windows on that one and move anything I need to.

Yes, if you have fixed file paths for work folders then that makes the most sense, use the 2TB as your OS drive. To do that you will need to wipe both drives though, so you will need somewhere to backup your files temporarily.

It is also possible to map folders in windows to another drive, so you could have C:\blah\somepath\ mapped to your 2TB drive and the files would physically be on that drive, but windows would act as if they were on the 1TB.

That might be a quick fix. But if you’re going to reinstall windows anyway it might not save you any time.

Hello.

I had someone build me a computer in December 2019 (Specs below). At the time, they installed two SSDs; a 1TB and a 2TB. For some reason, they set windows up on the 1TB drive instead of the 2TB drive. In any case, the 1 TB is almost full and instead of moving everything over to the 2TB drive, I thought this may be a good time to upgrade to a better hard drive.

The other reason why I want to do this is because I upgraded to windows 11 and I feel like my PC isnt performing nearly as well so Im thinking a fresh install of Win 11 vs. the upgrade process may work better for me.

Question: I use my computer for work 12 hours per day. What is the top of the line HD that would work with my PC if my budget was $1000? Im looking for 2TB.

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte Tech X570 Aorus XTREME
64.0 GB RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100 Graphics Card
Hard Drive #1: Gigabyte GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD
Hard Drive #2: Gigabyte GP-ASM2NE6200TTTD
Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22000 Build 22000
If there is nothing important on the 2TB disk just clone the 1TB to the 2TB and remove the 1TB.
You now have a bunch of free space.

Waste of bucks replacing your 1TB or 2TB with a premium 2TB very little perf to be gained.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
If you windows 10 PRO you can just move all your documents to D drive, and then change the my docs location to D drive. (redirection)

Or

do the clone method, clone 1TB to 2TB drive.

Most people do the smaller drive for boot.

Unless if you have some really old drives I would not upgrade. Now if you move large CAD files and your on an really old 500/mb read/write SSD maybe maybe it might be worth it, but kinda still doubt it.

980 PRO 2TB
Sabrent Rocket gen 4 2TB
WD 850 2TB

etc are good drives.

I have a 3900x and their great little cpus.

Solution