SSD upgrade - XP941 vs Samsung Pro 850 (on X99)

Volemic

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hi,

I'm in the process of upgrading my CPU/Motherboard/Ram - I am upgrading to an i7 5820 paired up with an Asus Rampage V.

In my current rig, I'm running a Samsung 840 Pro, as part of the upgrade, I'm thinking about ditching the 840 pro and getting the XP941 - however I don't know whether there are any issues - i.e. heat, reliability that make it a no-go. Also, if I'm running the samsung 840 in Rapid mode, would I still see a big boost if upgrading to the XP941??

Basically my options are as follows:

1) Keep Samsung 840 Pro
2) Upgrade Samsung 840 Pro to 850 Pro
3) Upgrade Samsung 840 Pro to XP941

Which one do you guys recommend I go for?

Cats869

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
Option 2 won't be worthwhile unless you want the best performance out there but the performance increase is very small. Then again, if you really want the best performance, then option 3 but the Samsung 840 Pro is a very good performer. Unless you're using your computer for database systems or want very high data rate speeds for transferring files and video recording, I doubt you will see much benefit from getting those SSDs. The 840 Pro is very good and if you're just using it for gaming, it will suit all your needs.
The amount of money you would save could go for other potential upgrades for your computer or computer setup or any peripherals really.

Volemic

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

Well tbh - the money difference if I upgrade to a XP941 will be around $100 as I would sell my existing 840 Pro. I'm using my PC for a lot of things - some database work, some video encoding and some gaming, but other important things for me would be program start up time, windows start up time etc.

Another factor which sorta puts me off the upgrade is when looking at the performance of 840 Pro in Rapid mode, the numbers it generates on benchmarks seem to be similar to what the XP941 generates.

Cats869

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014

The access time will be similar so you won't really notice much improvement in time when programs to start up and Windows boots up.

The benchmarks are similar because RAPID mode is essentially using the system memory as a cache and since both drives use the same memory as cache, it will essentially have similar numbers for the benchmark.

Palorim12

Distinguished
Stick with thew 840 PRO. Only go for the 850 if you want the increased endurance and 10 year warranty. The XP941 doesn't have any warranty with Samsung since its an OEM product.