Question SSD usage randomly spikes to 100% usage and transfers stop

blane1257

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
Every now and again, as far as I can tell randomly, my SSD (which rarely goes over 5% usage) will shoot up to 100% usage and all disk transfers pretty much stop, and it will stay like that for about a minute sometimes, then the usage suddenly drops back to idle usage and disk transfers resume. It's very hard to tell what process is causing it because when it happens my system hangs so I can't usually open task manager and switch to the processes tab, but I'll keep it open in the processes tab for a while to see if I can catch it.

There's no real warning when it happens and I don't know how to make it happen, I couldn't even see it coming if i was staring at task manager because there is no ramp up over a few seconds or anything, it will just be 0%-3% one moment then 100% the next.

The SSD is brand new, only installed it maybe a month or two ago, and I had these issues basically right out the gate, it's a 1tb Samsung 860 QVO

Are you transferring data to the SSD from a spinning drive, or from a network/internet location?

YOu can try another SATA cable, another SATA port, make sure power connection is secure, and/or, check this SSD for such symptoms during copying when installed in another desktop...

SSD failures are rare, but, they do happen...

You'd want to rule out everything else first, as 'something else' would be more probable...

blane1257

Prominent
Aug 14, 2019
The usage spikes happen at random times as far as I can tell, not just when copying files or downloading files or something like that..

I did attempt to clone a my old HDD which had bad sectors but eventually gave up and did a fresh install, the HDD was still installed in the system though until recently mostly because I've been too lazy to remove it but also in case I realize I need some file that was on it, but either last night or the night before it started making some nasty noises so I've removed it