SSD via PCIe to M.2 adapter on ASUS P6T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acad-Dad

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017
What PCIe card do I need to add Samsung 950 PRO Series - 256GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD drive to my Asus P6T using PCIe X16 slot?

Solution
You cant boot from a PCI-Express SSD on a X58 board, it just isn't supported, the code and hardware support isn't there. You can have it as a storage drive but not a boot drive.

Acad-Dad

Commendable
Jan 10, 2017

So I need to Boot from PCI-e SSD on Sabertooth X58 on my Asus P6T.
I know I need to add a PCIe to M.2 card to my second PCIe X16 (now X8) slot and a boot-able SSD (is a heat sink needed). What are the parameters to meet with my older system?

How do I accomplish this? Thanks, Ron

Mar 16, 2019
You cant boot from a PCI-Express SSD on a X58 board, it just isn't supported, the code and hardware support isn't there. You can have it as a storage drive but not a boot drive.

Sorry to say, but I'm booting everyday my X58 based PC (Asus P6T WS pro) on an NVMe SSD (HyperX predator 240 GB) for more than 5 years now -;) - In my BIOS it is correctly identified as a disk drive and I can put it first in the list of the bootable devices.

Which model HyperX? If it's like the older OCZ Revodrives(both original and later Revodrive 3 worked fine on my P6T Deluxe), that's normal. These were PCI-E bootable storage, getting speed from internal RAID 0. You had to install drivers during OS install though for everything to work.

Mar 16, 2019
Which model HyperX? If it's like the older OCZ Revodrives(both original and later Revodrive 3 worked fine on my P6T Deluxe), that's normal. These were PCI-E bootable storage, getting speed from internal RAID 0. You had to install drivers during OS install though for everything to work.

This one : https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/SHPM2280P2_en.pdf

It's old stuff now (compared to 970 pro or so SSDs), but it's still doing very well the job.

Thanks for the update so quickly. Didn't think X58 would do boot with newer M.2 SSDs, even through adapter. I had to burrow into the UEFI specific boot settings for PCI-E storage on my X99 Deluxe when I retired to a family member to get 950 Pro through the included M.2 adapter that came with board to boot and install Windows. It was not plug and play w/ default UEFI settings.

Mar 16, 2019
Thanks for the update so quickly. Didn't think X58 would do boot with newer M.2 SSDs, even through adapter. I had to burrow into the UEFI specific boot settings for PCI-E storage on my X99 Deluxe when I retired to a family member to get 950 Pro through the included M.2 adapter that came with board to boot and install Windows. It was not plug and play w/ default UEFI settings.
Just notice my board is a P6T WS pro (the one with SATA+SAS connectivity). This might explain that. However, you might be somewhere right, as a recent Samsung (ex: 970 pro) isn't detected (at all) by BIOS.
However, when I put the PCIe / NVMe adapter in another PC, it is (in fact I found this thread because I was trying to find why -;)
In any case, upgrading BIOS to the latest version is often the first thing to do when buying recent extensions. Unfortunately, on this old (but still good) MoBo the last BIOS is dated from (2010 -;)

Good info. Still have P6T Deluxe in the closet here. Bought on launch day I believe when first i7s came out. I think it has SAS as well if I recall. Great board and still works fine, sitting there w/ a i7 980X in it, originally i7 920. Only reason I retired it was for the family member upgrade to X99, hence the M.2 950 story I just posted. Never got to try it w/ P6T Deluxe to see what happens. Not sure if the OP still reads this post, but a cheap PCI-E to M.2 adapter may actually work for them.

Aug 14, 2019
Hello!

This is my firt post here, so I hope you can help me, i know Tom's forum is huge! :)))

I have following problem: Can't see SSD M.2 in BIOS to boot windows from it!

But it appears in Device Manager, under Disk Drives!
I made clone of windows on Asgard SSD with EaseUS Todo Backup.

Motherboard: Asus P6T WS Professional

Bios: Latest available, version 1205 from 2010

SSD: Asgard M.2 NVMe
link: http://en.asgard.com.hk/Product/SSD/27_13.html

Adapter: JEYI PCI-E x16 M.2 NVMe
link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32841309246.html

Please HELP! :)))

PICS HERE!!! PICS HERE!!! PICS HERE!!! PICS HERE!!!

USAFRet

Titan
Hello!

This is my firt post here, so I hope you can help me, i know Tom's forum is huge! :)))

I have following problem: Can't see SSD M.2 in BIOS to boot windows from it!

But it appears in Device Manager, under Disk Drives!
I made clone of windows on Asgard SSD with EaseUS Todo Backup.

Motherboard: Asus P6T WS Professional

Bios: Latest available, version 1205 from 2010

SSD: Asgard M.2 NVMe
link: http://en.asgard.com.hk/Product/SSD/27_13.html

Adapter: JEYI PCI-E x16 M.2 NVMe
link: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32841309246.html

Please HELP! :)))

PICS HERE!!! PICS HERE!!! PICS HERE!!! PICS HERE!!!
Please start a new thread for your particular situation.
You'll get more replies than in this old one.

Thanks, and welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.