SSD vs IDE vs SATA

raheemmalik

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
My mobo is Asus m2n68-am se2,
And I am currently using IDE hard disk, which upgrade is suitable for me? should i go for SATA type hdd or SSD, Mean which one is the best value for money as per my specs.
If SSD, which one? (I need the cheap and best one).
Thanks for your suggestions.

Solution
what specs? you only supply the model of the mobo.

you wont notice much difference between ide and sata (10% faster depending on how old your original ide is)
you will notice the difference if you get a sshd (sata) as it is part ssd (upto 40-50% faster for frequently used programs / normally windows occupies the ssd partition)
you will definitely notice a difference with a ssd. (depending on which interface you use sata/pci m2 upto 500% faster)

eg. for a 1GB file that takes 1 minute to read/write/move on old ide
ide -> sata maybe 50-55 seconds
ide -> sshd (sata) 50-55 seconds, as fast as 35-40 seconds for frequently used programs (size dependent also).
ide -> ssd 15-20 seconds or less (depending on ssd, i/o used, no limit to size or...

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
what specs? you only supply the model of the mobo.

you wont notice much difference between ide and sata (10% faster depending on how old your original ide is)
you will notice the difference if you get a sshd (sata) as it is part ssd (upto 40-50% faster for frequently used programs / normally windows occupies the ssd partition)
you will definitely notice a difference with a ssd. (depending on which interface you use sata/pci m2 upto 500% faster)

eg. for a 1GB file that takes 1 minute to read/write/move on old ide
ide -> sata maybe 50-55 seconds
ide -> sshd (sata) 50-55 seconds, as fast as 35-40 seconds for frequently used programs (size dependent also).
ide -> ssd 15-20 seconds or less (depending on ssd, i/o used, no limit to size or amount)

these values are fictional, they do not add up with real life speeds and wont calculate, they are used to represent the amount of time you will save yourself when wanting to load a program/game, copy/move a movie, etc.

Solution

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
both are good, theres many positive reviews of the adata drive, and kingston is a good reliable brand as far as i am aware

be sure you get them with desktop installation kit as they are 2.5" (laptop size) not desktop size as default.

The first problem I see is the age of your motherboard. According to Asus specifications the motherboard is equipped with four SATA 2, 3Gb/s headers/connectors. The motherboard does not have any SATA 3, 6Gb/s headers. Luckily standard 2.5 inch SATA 3, 6Gb/s ssd's are backwards compatible and should work with your motherboard. However, performance will be a little bit lower due to the lack of a SATA 3 6Gb/s header.

Most individuals who upgrade from a hard disk drive to a solid state drive are pleasantly surprised by the increased speed and performance. It is definitely worth the upgrade.

There are many fine solid state drives that perform well. I would recommend the Samsung 850 EVO. It is Samsung's best selling ssd, performs exceptionally well, and has a proven track record.

I maintain an ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the SATA 3, 6Gb/s section, look for any ssd's you might be interested in. You will see basic information about each model and links to technical reviews. The reviews are divided into two groups - English language reviews and reviews in many other languages. There are no advertisements, pop-ups, or other distractions. It is strictly a hobby.

If ssd prices are a concern and you are located in the United States, then I suggest waiting until the latter part of November when the "Black Friday" winter holiday sales are going on. This year the sales will start a little earlier on November 10th and extend all the way to the end of the month. You'll have to check prices twice a day. Some of the sales will be for 4 hours only or until limited supplies are sold out.

raheemmalik

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
thanks for your suggestions, i Bought an 120 SSD, now the next thing is to buy an HDD to pair with it for increasing the storage.. so again i need you guyz to help me in buying a cheap and good HDD.

HDD capacity (anywhere between 150 - 1000 GB) and Budget (20 - 30 $)