[SOLVED] SSD Vs. SSHD for gaming

aa1991aa

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Hello everyone ,
So , I know the differences between HDD and SSD and I know SSD does not affect in game performance and only affect loading time, however some people say the game feels somehow smoother in online games when played on SSD compare to HDD , has anyone had any experience ? I have Intel i9 9900ks + RTX 2080ti and for storage am using Seagate firecuda 2TB . I play BFV mostly
I currently have a 512GB nvme 970 pro for windows and some applications only . Should I consider upgrading my Firecuda to SSD for gaming ?
If so is there a big difference between Nvme and SATA ?
Thanks

Solution
SSHD's nand capacity is quite limited and only really meant for frequently used startup items and small programs. Large games won't really benefit.

Having Windows, pagefile and games on an SSD can appear smoother due to increased IO speeds. Pretty much whenever a game (Especially open world games) access the drive on the fly, it's more or less immediate unlike mechanical drives.

Differences between Nvme and Sata SSD's is predominantly transfer speeds. Access times in games would be similar.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
SSHD's nand capacity is quite limited and only really meant for frequently used startup items and small programs. Large games won't really benefit.

Having Windows, pagefile and games on an SSD can appear smoother due to increased IO speeds. Pretty much whenever a game (Especially open world games) access the drive on the fly, it's more or less immediate unlike mechanical drives.

Differences between Nvme and Sata SSD's is predominantly transfer speeds. Access times in games would be similar.

Solution

Blitz Hacker

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2015
Hello everyone ,
So , I know the differences between HDD and SSD and I know SSD does not affect in game performance and only affect loading time, however some people say the game feels somehow smoother in online games when played on SSD compare to HDD , has anyone had any experience ? I have Intel i9 9900ks + RTX 2080ti and for storage am using Seagate firecuda 2TB . I play BFV mostly
I currently have a 512GB nvme 970 pro for windows and some applications only . Should I consider upgrading my Firecuda to SSD for gaming ?
Thanks
Generally speaking the hard drive won't affect frame rate, the 'smoothness' being spoke of is usually when loading in new areas and new textures into memory.
In my experience with most triple A games this difference is negligible.

The highest (most significant) difference I have noticed is when playing MMO games as there are alot of area boundaries in the games and your constantly loading new area data and graphical textures and mappings.
World of Warcraft.. and a very niche edge case Eve Online MMO.
I've noticed a radical difference in game play smoothness as the game is consistently loading and the difference on these games are night and day with a SSD vs a HHD (even more so than a new graphics card in the case of Eve Online) However with most FPS games and triple A titles aside from actual loading screen times you will notice very little to no difference in 'smoothness' after the level/area has loaded.

As with the pagefile if your hammering your page file to any noticeable degree you would be far better off investing in more DDR for your computer vs upgrading the hard drive

As with NVME and Sata there is a difference, response times are similar the max throughput (and form factor/motherboard support) are the main differences. SATA3 is capped at 600MB/sec, where as NVME is capped at 1,100MB/sec Write and 2,540/sec read.

TLDR: with games the transfer rate will not be humanly noticeable aside from Inital loading times of the game and a 'level' or initial 'map' loading. Difference between HDD and SSD is night and day, difference between Sata SSD and NVME SSD only really presents itself on high end drives with huge work loads (copying 20gb from one drive to the other) or large workstation projects like loading assets into Premiere pro (scrubbing) or Divinci.
For 'gaming' I would go with whatever is most reasonably priced if you decide to take the plunge, do some research homework don't just head to best buy as the sales guy will sell you junk.

Last edited:
Reactions: aa1991aa
Hello everyone ,
Thanks
Lots if complex loaded questions here.

Is a ssd faster? Most of the time yes

Is a nvme that much faster than sata? 6x or more...

Will you notice a huge difference between sata and nvme?...not night and day unless you have a stop watch.

Will your games be smoother? Most likely. But a lot of games can be optimized to work well with hdd. World of warcraft is an example. Maps load based on what it thinks you'll need before you get there and your available memory.