SSD Windows Installation

johan62469

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I took an MSATA Samsung PM871 256gb out of a dell latitude laptop where the motherboard had died. I put it in a new desktop i was building using a msata to sata adapter. When i attempt to install windows the ssd shows up but i am notified that i cannot install windows without a controller driver. Where can i obtain such a driver, and how would i go about installing it. Thank You.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
you would basically have to "merge" it with the files from a win install dvd, and make a "new" that contains the driver.
i think the way of installing win on a different drive (or use existing install), install the nvme driver once its running,
then image the drive with acronis, and restore it to the ssd.
than you would be able to boot from it.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
dont worry.
u have a oem unit of the 850 pro (maybe evo), and not the retail edition, but its still the same drive (more or less).
only the magician software might not work.

maybe try the 2.0 driver. click on the red download button.
http://downloads.netmediaeurope.de/77388/samsung-nvme-treiber/

johan62469

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I don't believe this problem to be fixable, it shows up in my device manager, and also my disk manager, but whenever i try to initialize it it says there is an I/O error and i can never go any further. It will not allow me to clone to it either. I'm open to any suggestions that anyone may have.

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
dont use cloning. u need to do a full image/backup to another (external?) drive , once you installed the nvme driver.
then make a rescue cd from acronis.
shutdown pc. swap the hdd for the ssd.
boot from the rescue cd and restore the image u created on to the ssd..

johan62469

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
The nvme driver will not install, when i attempt to run the installation it gives me an error message that the drive cannot be found. I attempted these steps and bypassed the nvme driver installation, and acronis just freezes up when i attempt to restore the image to the ssd.