[SOLVED] SSD with damaged Windows 10 not showing up

Aug 16, 2020
Hello,

I recently installed a 1 TB M.2 onto my Asus Prime B450M-A motherboard.

I initially had Windows 10 installed on a 120 GB SSD connected via a regular SATA cable, and my plan was to 'clone' the operating system to the new M.2 and use the smaller SSD as a regular storage medium. However, after reassembling my PC, Windows gave me a BSOD before booting, directing me to the SrtTrail.txt log.

I made no attempts to fix this drive, and instead booted to a Ubuntu Live USB to retrieve crucial data/documents from the failed SSD. I then installed a clean copy of Windows 10 onto the M.2. I then opened up the Disk Management tool to clear the old SSD's partitions and reclaim it. However, it's not there. I booted into Ubuntu again to see if GParted could find it, and it cannot. My BIOS boot order can't even see the SSD.

However - the Windows Boot Manager (which is currently priority 1 in my boot order) CAN see a "Volume 7" which supposedly has Windows 10 installed upon it. I'm guessing this is the 120 GB SSD which I cannot seem to find. If I try boot into this volume, I get the original error which directs me to SrtTrail.txt...

I honestly despise working with data and partitions, etc. As I'm always afraid I do something wrong. This 120 GB SSD was working not 24 hours ago, and now there's basically no trace of it except in the Windows Boot Manager. I just thought this was extremely peculiar and so I thought I'd bring it here.

Thanks very much for reading, and if anybody has any ideas, please share!
Any questions or queries, just ask.

Thanks again.

Solution
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've just checked my BIOS and whilst I see a tools menu, I see no tools which would allow me to erase any drive.

I have an 'Ez flash 3 utility', 'Setup Animator', 'Asus user profile' and 'Asus spd information'.

Thanks.
Then you can use the SSD secure erase tool for that brand, just download it from the support site for the SSD manufacturer, it will be the diagnostic/testing tool, such as Samsung Magician, Intel Toolbox, Crucial Executive Storage Tool, etc. There are other generic tools available also.

RealBeast

Titan
Most ASUS boards have a tools section in the bios. You can secure erase SSDs in the tool list, just be very careful to select the correct SSD to secure erase. After the SE, it should show up in disk management ready to be initialized and formatted.

Aug 16, 2020
Most ASUS boards have a tools section in the bios. You can secure erase SSDs in the tool list, just be very careful to select the correct SSD to secure erase. After the SE, it should show up in disk management ready to be initialized and formatted.

I've just checked my BIOS and whilst I see a tools menu, I see no tools which would allow me to erase any drive.

I have an 'Ez flash 3 utility', 'Setup Animator', 'Asus user profile' and 'Asus spd information'.

Thanks.

RealBeast

Titan

Thanks.
Then you can use the SSD secure erase tool for that brand, just download it from the support site for the SSD manufacturer, it will be the diagnostic/testing tool, such as Samsung Magician, Intel Toolbox, Crucial Executive Storage Tool, etc. There are other generic tools available also.

Solution
Aug 16, 2020
Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't consider doing that.

I opened up my PC this morning and connected the drive to another SATA port, and now it's appearing... :rolleyes:...

Sorry for wasting your time, I appreciate your assistance.