SSD with windows is completely wiped

cooldude237

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 4350
GPU: ASUS GTX 750ti 2gb
MOBO: I’m unsure of the exact model but it’s an ASUS motherboard
Storage: 1 internal Kingston SSD, 1 internal hitachi harddrive and 1 external WD hardrive

Okay so this all started about a week ago when I had gone to bed but instead of shutting my computer down I had put it into sleep mode. Now my computer in sleep mode likes to just randomly wake up with no user input at all so keep that in mind. So I put it to sleep and went to bed and the next morning when I went to use it, the monitor was on but the screen was black. The fans were also running at full speed aswell. After shutting it off and turning it on again, I was presented with windows getting stuck in a boot loop and just endlessly getting stuck on “attempting repairs”. I installed the windows media creation and put it on a flash drive and attempted to take a look at what happened. I went into the computers advanced options and went to the command prompt and typed “c:” and “dir” into the prompt, “c:” being the SSD windows was installed on. Looking at the directory, the drive is completely wiped with only one file labeled “recovery.txt”. I checked all other drives as I have another internal hard drive and one external drive and both of their files were intact. I am unable to reinstall windows as I have no clue as to where my installation disk is and windows media creation tool cannot reinstall it on my SSD as it claims it’s unable to retrieve the serial number code for windows as there is nothing on the disk. I’m at a complete loss at what to do at this point and I fear the only fix having to be to purchase windows again. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

cooldude237

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017

Hold on, i am so stupid. upon skipping the licensce key entry, I failed to read both options as the one I originally selected was to reinstall windows and keep files, but that only worked if you had an already functioning version of windows on the drive. I went back to the install to try to get it to mention it needing a licence but this time I read both options and selected the one with the clean install and this time it is giving me no error with the licence key. It is currently installing now and hopefully that goes smoothly. Thank you for your quick response, much appreciated.

cooldude237

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
I also have another question, what could've caused this error in the first place? I'd like to know how to avoid this. Is it possible the drive might've overheated as the computer might've been running the entirety of the night?