SSD won't boot after BSOD

Senk

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
■ Hi Everyone,

Today I got a BSOD on my ROG G551JW. The error was "Unexpected store exception".
After that error the laptop never booted up again. It goes to the BIOS load screen, the brand animation and then it stops for several minutes until it decides to open a useless boot device and give the error about not finding a bootable disk.
Bringing up the boot menu takes 1-2 minutes of loading, and loading the BIOS setup is a hell of 3-5 minutes.
The BIOS recognizes my PCIe Kingston 128GB SSD, the boot menu has it as well. However I cannot boot from it. I tried checking the SSD on both windows repair and Ubuntu live but none of the two recognizes the drive. It basically doesn't even show up, not even as an offline or disconnected state.

Does anyone have an idea on what can cause this anomaly? I don't really care about the data on the drive even, I just want to make it work again.

Thank in advance for the answers!

Senk

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015

Obviously I have spent my whole day on google, trying to figure out what happened. As I wrote it in the description, I cannot access the SSD, therefore non of the answers in this post is helpful for me.

Senk

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
As a result of dmesg it spits back several "link is slow to respond" messages then eventually dies by giving up. Seems like the SSD can't wake up. But the BIOS can still identify it.

Senk

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I took off the back cover and managed to surgeon out the SSD. Without the SSD in the connector, the BIOS starts with normal speed. I would assume that the slow start was because of the bad communication with the SSD that Linux also reported. I tried to put the SSD into the WiFi cards PCI slot but I guess it goes through a hardware check as there it don't even recognize it.

It is all strange, it seems like things point to the SSD being dead, but how could a two year old SSD just simply die on me without any warnings?