Question SSD won't boot when hard drive is not connected

Aug 28, 2023
I'm planning to upgrade my ssd (150gb) to a 1tb ssd.

Currently my storage setup is:
sata ssd (150gb) where the system OS is installed. (C drive)
1tb hard drive which I want to replace with the new ssd

When my computer starts up without the 1tb hard drive plugged in it won't boot windows 10 and says "Non-system disk or disk error replace and strike key when ready". But when i plug in my hard drive it boots normally even though the system is installed on the ssd.

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Your boot MBR is installed on the HDD, find a software that copies MBRs and do HDD > SSD.
Do not override if existing. Is your SSD first boot device in Bios ? (other than removable drives)

Aug 28, 2023
Your boot MBR is installed on the HDD, find a software that copies MBRs and do HDD > SSD.
Do not override if existing. Is your SSD first boot device in Bios ? (other than removable drives)
Thanks for the reply,

I think the 1tb hard drive is the first boot devices

The following order from my BIOS:
EFI Boot Sources
- Windows Boot Manager
- USB Floppy/CD
- USB Hard Drive

Legacy Boot Sources
- USB Floppy/CD
-Hard Drive
--WDC hard drive (1tb)
-- spcc solid state disk (150gb)

Would changing boot order work, or would i also have to copy the MBR from hard drive to SSD? If so how would check to see if the MBR is on the hard drive?

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2023
But if you want to be sure, you can disconnect HDD, re-install your OS as Upgrade on the existing SSD, not losing any files or settings or programs.
I checked both the hdd and ssd and their volumes are both partitioned as MBR.

Theoretically could i just get a new sata cable for the new ssd and just add it in for more storage?

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
No, you want this boot issue resolved, as I said, easiest way is do an OS "upgrade" using the current OS.
Run off a USB Stick install. You can still download All-In-One ISOs for windows.