ssd wont boot

DannyTheScoob

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017
I recently installed a Western digital 500 gb ssd to replace my hard drive, when i try to boot from it the screen will just be black with the cursor stuck on loading. If i try to boot from my hard drive it works just fine

Solution
Could be, I've never used that 1 for cloning. I still suggest the Macrium reflect though. All you have to do to shrink the partition is right click the start menu and choose disk management, then right click on the drive and choose shrink volume and shrink it to less than 500 gb. then when you are done do the exact same thing except choose expand volume and expand it back to its original size. This is all assuming of course that the space used on the hdd is less than 500gb.

jpe1701

Honorable

I would try wiping it and cloning again. What program are you using to clone? I had trouble with samsung magician a couple times where I had to clone the drive again so it does happen.

Edit: Not samsung magician, I meant samsung migration

DannyTheScoob

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017

I tried cloning it again and it still has the same problem, should i return it?

jpe1701

Honorable
Well let's get some more info before you return it. What program are you using? How big is the hdd you are cloning? Have you partitioned the hard drive so that the partitions you are cloning are smaller than the ssd?

DannyTheScoob

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017

The hdd is 1tb, i am using acronis true image wd edition, and i don't know how to do that third thing as I am new to building computers

DannyTheScoob

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017

Yes i am using windows 10, also i think that the software i am using partitions it

jpe1701

Honorable
Could be, I've never used that 1 for cloning. I still suggest the Macrium reflect though. All you have to do to shrink the partition is right click the start menu and choose disk management, then right click on the drive and choose shrink volume and shrink it to less than 500 gb. then when you are done do the exact same thing except choose expand volume and expand it back to its original size. This is all assuming of course that the space used on the hdd is less than 500gb.

Solution

DannyTheScoob

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017

ok i partitioned the drive and installed macrium reflect

DannyTheScoob

Commendable
Mar 10, 2017

This worked :D thank you so much for all of your help you are awesome