Question SSD writes too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2021
I have downloaded only 500 Mb update file of a game on my SSD , When I checked Crystal disk info it showed 8gb of writes increased after download . Even after windows update 10 GB of writes were increased. Why my SSD is writing a lot for even small downloads? Even for 83 MB update file I have seen 3 GB of writes increased .I cannot understand how does it works. I am using SSD for the first time. I am little bit concerned about the writes I am using my laptop 3 to 4 hours daily just for playing PUBG. I have already written 576 GB power on hours 69.I have used driver booster to stop unnecessary services after running it I checked crystal disk info 3 Gb of writes were increased how can disabling services write too much? I have disabled indexing and sys main as suggested on the internet, before these changes my writes per hour were 1 GB with game play but now its 5 GB per hour with the same amount of usage .I don't know if windows is updating stuff at the background. I have 6 GB of page file on my system. My ram is 8 GB .I have unchecked Look for “allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties, Applied changes to Drive C:\, subfolders and files. After applying these changes I saw 3GB of writes were increased .I didn't let it apply the new attribute when I saw sudden increase in writes I thought may be I am doing something wrong so I again checked allow files to be indexed while applying these settings I lost around 6GB of total writes that's really annoying for me. Yesterday I have downloaded around 1 GB of game updates 26 GB of writes were written within 2 and half hour while my usage was 4.2 GB writes in the task manager for my game play. I have seen a lot of screenshots of people on different forums with only few terabytes written over years of usage. I don't have much info about my TBW I can't even find it on the internet SK HYNIX brand. It was already in my HP Laptop I haven't bought it myself separately. I want to use my laptop for my work purpose. It requires use of chrome with multiple tabs open. Now I am not using it much still the writes are too much if I use it for heavy usage 6 to 7 hours the writes will be 100 GB per day.

I have downloaded only 500 Mb update file of a game on my SSD , When I checked Crystal disk info it showed 8gb of writes increased after download . Even after windows update 10 GB of writes were increased. Why my SSD is writing a lot for even small downloads? Even for 83 MB update file I have seen 3 GB of writes increased .I cannot understand how does it works. I am using SSD for the first time. I am little bit concerned about the writes I am using my laptop 3 to 4 hours daily just for playing PUBG. I have already written 576 GB power on hours 69.I have used driver booster to stop unnecessary services after running it I checked crystal disk info 3 Gb of writes were increased how can disabling services write too much? I have disabled indexing and sys main as suggested on the internet, before these changes my writes per hour were 1 GB with game play but now its 5 GB per hour with the same amount of usage .I don't know if windows is updating stuff at the background. I have 6 GB of page file on my system. My ram is 8 GB .I have unchecked Look for “allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties, Applied changes to Drive C:\, subfolders and files. After applying these changes I saw 3GB of writes were increased .I didn't let it apply the new attribute when I saw sudden increase in writes I thought may be I am doing something wrong so I again checked allow files to be indexed while applying these settings I lost around 6GB of total writes that's really annoying for me. Yesterday I have downloaded around 1 GB of game updates 26 GB of writes were written within 2 and half hour while my usage was 4.2 GB writes in the task manager for my game play. I have seen a lot of screenshots of people on different forums with only few terabytes written over years of usage. I don't have much info about my TBW I can't even find it on the internet SK HYNIX brand. It was already in my HP Laptop I haven't bought it myself separately. I want to use my laptop for my work purpose. It requires use of chrome with multiple tabs open. Now I am not using it much still the writes are too much if I use it for heavy usage 6 to 7 hours the writes will be 100 GB per day.
Disk itself has absolutely nothing to do with amount of writes (and reads), only OS and software do.
When you download a game or most any application it's usually archived/compacted so it has to download less (although some games can exceed 50GB+) just as download. Once you start installing them, depending on archive level they can write much more than original size and also modify some of system files making a backup at same time. That way an installed game/program can write several times more data than original file was.
In addition to that OS can do a lot of writing on it's own, for instance to page/swap files, temporary files, logs etc. All of that is amplified with activities like installations and gaming and using various programs.
Chrome and other browsers constantly cache opened sites and tabs, most of the time in advance.
Don't let that TBW worry you much, modern SSDs, barring catastrophic failures will last longer than you will have use for them before capacity gets too small or get to be to slow due to new technologies.
I have couple of 8 year old SSDs that surpassed their manufacturer's TBW claims several times over and are still in great shape.

Reactions: lvt
Jul 16, 2021
Disk itself has absolutely nothing to do with amount of writes (and reads), only OS and software do.
When you download a game or most any application it's usually archived/compacted so it has to download less (although some games can exceed 50GB+) just as download. Once you start installing them, depending on archive level they can write much more than original size and also modify some of system files making a backup at same time. That way an installed game/program can write several times more data than original file was.
In addition to that OS can do a lot of writing on it's own, for instance to page/swap files, temporary files, logs etc. All of that is amplified with activities like installations and gaming and using various programs.
Chrome and other browsers constantly cache opened sites and tabs, most of the time in advance.
Don't let that TBW worry you much, modern SSDs, barring catastrophic failures will last longer than you will have use for them before capacity gets too small or get to be to slow due to new technologies.
I have couple of 8 year old SSDs that surpassed their manufacturer's TBW claims several times over and are still in great shape.
Before it was fine 1 GB per hour I used to shutdown my laptop when I reach 5 GB per day now suddenly I have started to see 20 GB that's why I was little bit worried of losing my SSD within less than a year. May be due to updates and downloads I am seeing an increase in per day writes. I was never much worried with an HDD used it too many hours per day. Now I am counting every writes which is weird.

Before it was fine 1 GB per hour I used to shutdown my laptop when I reach 5 GB per day now suddenly I have started to see 20 GB that's why I was little bit worried of losing my SSD within less than a year. May be due to updates and downloads I am seeing an increase in per day writes. I was never much worried with an HDD used it too many hours per day. Now I am counting every writes which is weird.
Well, stop counting and enjoy speed but make backups, nothing is infallible.

Twenkid

Prominent
Sep 11, 2021

If you're still there: it could be the Hybrid Sleep. Power Options -- ... Turn it off. It is like doing hibernation for each sleep. That's useful if power interruptions are expected, but that's more relevant for desktops. Also there had to be a warning about these huge writes.

I also recommend to use RAM disks for the cache of the browsers, Chrome and Opera too.

Status
Not open for further replies.