News SSDs Based on Phison's PS5018-E18 Controller to Hit 7.4 GB/s Sequential Read Speed

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Phison's PS5019-E19 PCIe 4.0 controller is confirmed to be what's in the Seagate expansion SSD for the Xbox Series X/S consoles. That's already a pretty big win right there.

Reactions: Soaptrail

Dsplover

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
I’ve bought Samsung’s and any brand with a Phison controllers.

Don’t really need the top end bandwidth, but it comes w/ super low latency and great random reads.

If it writes really Thats fine.

E18 based Sabrent Rocket Plus is what I’m waiting for.

I’ve bought Samsung’s and any brand with a Phison controllers.

Don’t really need the top end bandwidth, but it comes w/ super low latency and great random reads.

If it writes really Thats fine.

E18 based Sabrent Rocket Plus is what I’m waiting for.

Super-low latency is where Optane shines. Now if they could just get the price down to the level of at least the Samsung drives...

This is Phison's 2nd iteration of a PCIe 4.0-based controller, and for a 2nd effort, I'm slightly surprised that their hardware specs for the E18 sound a bit lower than some of the specs for Silicon Motion's first PCIe 4.0 controller, the SM2264. That controller is said to support 8 NAND channels as well but up to 1600MT/s. Phison's E18 says it's at 1200MT/s. I guess we'll see the real performance when they can be tested head-to-head.

As an aside - both of those controllers show that Samsung really didn't do as well as they should have with the 980 Pro, though. :(

Intel lowering prices on exclusive technology ? hahahahaha

Yeah, I know! :)

However, maybe Micron will surprise us with some new 3DXpoint stuff themselves, in addition the X100 they've already released. I would think both Intel and Micron would want to start pushing more 3D Xpoint into the market, and thus set those divisions up for higher volume & more sales going forward. They could be cash cows for a number of years!

GeekyOne

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
I dont think that we can feel the difference between 3GB/s and 7GB/s ... I wish some day I read "we reached such and such IOPS" instead of sequential bla bla speed ...
Exactly. I don't understand the marketing hoopla around sequential r/w. That's a very limited, specialized use case. What matters to 99.9% of users is IOPS and latency. Samsung's own website doesn't even publish IOPS for their 980 Pro, so we only get numbers from 3rd party reviews. :-(

Makaveli

Splendid
Exactly. I don't understand the marketing hoopla around sequential r/w. That's a very limited, specialized use case. What matters to 99.9% of users is IOPS and latency. Samsung's own website doesn't even publish IOPS for their 980 Pro, so we only get numbers from 3rd party reviews. :-(

Big numbers sell and most users don't know the difference.

Dsplover

Prominent
Feb 23, 2020
Super-low latency is where Optane shines. Now if they could just get the price down to the level of at least the Samsung drives...

‘If ASRock Rack makes another Intel non Xeon like mATX just for Speed I might have to snag a pair due to 1U designs. 905P 480s are in my budget, the 1TB are way up there.

Still use an NVMe for OS + Apps like the Sabrent E18.

We’ll see..