[SOLVED] SSTP or SFTP for internet?

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021
I am planning to use a 22-24awg pure copper round ethernet cable. I saw a cat6a and cat7 cables but all of them have SSTP or SFTP.
Should I use SSTP or SFTP at all? I am planning to connect the cable from my PC to my router.

Last edited:
Solution
First you only need cat6a if you have 10g ports it will not run any faster or better if you have only 1g ports. Cat7 cable was never fully approved and provides no real benefit over cat6a.

Shielding on cable is pretty much tech garbage speak. They have enough term to make it sound important but it seldom is. They can make cat6a cable without shields.

So pretty much shielding is trying to solve a problem that does not actually exist especially in a home user install. They go to great length to talk about all this EMI interference. The key issue is if you were to attempt to measure the interference you would never find any. Maybe some factory with big equipment or if you did something really stupid like run ethernet...
First you only need cat6a if you have 10g ports it will not run any faster or better if you have only 1g ports. Cat7 cable was never fully approved and provides no real benefit over cat6a.

Shielding on cable is pretty much tech garbage speak. They have enough term to make it sound important but it seldom is. They can make cat6a cable without shields.

So pretty much shielding is trying to solve a problem that does not actually exist especially in a home user install. They go to great length to talk about all this EMI interference. The key issue is if you were to attempt to measure the interference you would never find any. Maybe some factory with big equipment or if you did something really stupid like run ethernet cables next to a ballast in a florescent light which is not allowed by the electrical code anyway. Shielded cable is more used in places they are concerned with the ethernet cables interfering with stuff rather than the reverse. Things like hospitals or inside airplanes.

Next the big reason a home use can not use shield cable even if they wanted to is the cable must be grounded on both ends. This must a completely separate ground, you can not use the ground on your electrical outlets. Using the power ground along with a safety risk can actually cause interference. Running the cables ungrounded causes the shield to act as a antenna which increases the interference. BUT the reason home users use shielded cables with no issues even when they don't ground it is the EMI does not exist in the first place so there is nothing for the shield to amplify when it acts as a antenna.

It is mostly lots of tech talk to get you spend money on a problem you do not have......then again this is common for all kinds of advertising you see.

Solution

Parroty69

Commendable
Oct 27, 2021

So pretty much shielding is trying to solve a problem that does not actually exist especially in a home user install. They go to great length to talk about all this EMI interference. The key issue is if you were to attempt to measure the interference you would never find any. Maybe some factory with big equipment or if you did something really stupid like run ethernet cables next to a ballast in a florescent light which is not allowed by the electrical code anyway. Shielded cable is more used in places they are concerned with the ethernet cables interfering with stuff rather than the reverse. Things like hospitals or inside airplanes.

Next the big reason a home use can not use shield cable even if they wanted to is the cable must be grounded on both ends. This must a completely separate ground, you can not use the ground on your electrical outlets. Using the power ground along with a safety risk can actually cause interference. Running the cables ungrounded causes the shield to act as a antenna which increases the interference. BUT the reason home users use shielded cables with no issues even when they don't ground it is the EMI does not exist in the first place so there is nothing for the shield to amplify when it acts as a antenna.

It is mostly lots of tech talk to get you spend money on a problem you do not have......then again this is common for all kinds of advertising you see.
Thank you for the very detailed and helpful reply. Does this mean that shielding is useless for home users?

Last edited: