[SOLVED] Stable FPS But Choppy Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Hello Iv'e been having a problem for months where my game is choppy but my fps is stable.

Rx 580 8GB Comes OC
Ryzen 5 2600
16gb ram 3200mzh
asus b450m-a csm
700w thermaltake psu smart series
75 hz acer gaming monitor 1ms

Here's what I tried

Factory resseting windows
different hdmi cables
new cpu
different ram
increased power limit in msi afterburner
drivers and software up to date
gpu temps around 65-70
wattage is fine for my componets
cpu temp normal
tried plugging pc into another outlet
different power supply

I have my fps capped at 75 in fortnite it's smooth for a few mins then goes to choppy then back to smooth. My gpu usage is around 90 but also when my gpu usage is low my game gets even more choppier. Please help.

Solution
Hello Iv'e been having a problem for months where my game is choppy but my fps is stable.

Rx 580 8GB Comes OC
Ryzen 5 2600
16gb ram 3200mzh
asus b450m-a csm

Here's what I tried

different hdmi cables
new cpu
different ram
gpu temps around 65-70
cpu temp normal
different power supply

I have my fps capped at 75 in fortnite it's smooth for a few mins then goes to choppy then back to smooth. My gpu usage is around 90 but also when my gpu usage is low my game gets even more choppier. Please help.
wattage is fine for my components...
different power supply...
the wattage isn't the only concern with power supplies.
many cannot properly supply power / cannot keep a steady amount of power supplied when being stressed at all.
it could be an issue with this very low tier PSU that can't handle high power usage.
I have my fps capped at 75 in fortnite it's smooth for a few mins then goes to choppy then back to smooth.
this could also be a slow hard drive having problems loading textures, models, etc.
could be an old GPU that can't process the data quick enough anymore.
could also be the lower tier CPU not able to process the data quick enough.

try lowering the resolution down to 480 or 720p with lowest graphical settings and see if you still suffer these issues.

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
the wattage isn't the only concern with power supplies.
many cannot properly supply power / cannot keep a steady amount of power supplied when being stressed at all.
it could be an issue with this very low tier PSU that can't handle high power usage.

this could also be a slow hard drive having problems loading textures, models, etc.
could be an old GPU that can't process the data quick enough anymore.
could also be the lower tier CPU not able to process the data quick enough.

try lowering the resolution down to 480 or 720p with lowest graphical settings and see if you still suffer these issues.
i tried a brand new high tier psu problem still happened and my cpu is fine because this happened on my old cpu too

i tried a brand new high tier psu problem still happened and my cpu is fine because this happened on my old cpu too
and the old CPU was a faster model?
if it was still a low speed CPU the issue would have still existed.

you still don't mention what drive you have them installed on or how long this drive may have been in use.

and you don't mention what happens when you drastically lower in-game settings & resolution.
depending on how it performs at the lowest settings can help determine what component(s) may be causing the bad performance.

you can also use options like userbenchmark.com to test the performance of individual components.

Rx 580 8GB Comes OC
Ryzen 5 2600
16gb ram 3200mzh
asus b450m-a csm

Here's what I tried

different hdmi cables
new cpu
different ram
gpu temps around 65-70
cpu temp normal
different power supply

Does enabling vsync resolve the "choppyness" ?

If so, you are seeing the choppyness without vsync because of how frames are processed by the monitor. Even on my rig, 144hz montior, 200fps in game, unless I enable Gsync/Vsync I can visually see what I call "micro stutter" . Maybe its not what your typical micro stutter would be called but its the best word to explain it, and its also hard to explain to someone without them being there in person to see it.

If enabling vsync makes the choppyness goes away, then there is nothing wrong with your build, its normal. And this is the exact reason vsync, and gsync was invented. In turn, if this is the case, you either deal with the micro stutter, or you deal with the increased input lag from vsync. I am FORCED to use vsync/gsync in GTA V because without it it looks like Im playing a slideshow.

You can also test this by seeing if the choppyness gets less when the in game FPS is higher. The higher the fps, the less "choppy" it looks, EVEN ON A LOW hz MONITOR! They say playing above the refresh rate of the monitor is pointless, but they are wrong. No matter the refresh rate of the monitor, the higher the fps in game, the less input lag you have. This is called "frametime".

Last edited:
Solution

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
and the old CPU was a faster model?
if it was still a low speed CPU the issue would have still existed.

you still don't mention what drive you have them installed on or how long this drive may have been in use.

and you don't mention what happens when you drastically lower in-game settings & resolution.
depending on how it performs at the lowest settings can help determine what component(s) may be causing the bad performance.

you can also use options like userbenchmark.com to test the performance of individual components.
nope it was a slower model a ryzen 5 2400g
i have windows installed on ssd and fortnite on ssd all other games on 1tb hdd
ssd is around 1 year and a half old
i tried lowering resolution problem still happens

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020

If so, you are seeing the choppyness without vsync because of how frames are processed by the monitor. Even on my rig, 144hz montior, 200fps in game, unless I enable Gsync/Vsync I can visually see what I call "micro stutter" . Maybe its not what your typical micro stutter would be called but its the best word to explain it, and its also hard to explain to someone without them being there in person to see it.

If enabling vsync makes the choppyness goes away, then there is nothing wrong with your build, its normal. And this is the exact reason vsync, and gsync was invented. In turn, if this is the case, you either deal with the micro stutter, or you deal with the increased input lag from vsync. I am FORCED to use vsync/gsync in GTA V because without it it looks like Im playing a slideshow.

You can also test this by seeing if the choppyness gets less when the in game FPS is higher. The higher the fps, the less "choppy" it looks, EVEN ON A LOW hz MONITOR! They say playing above the refresh rate of the monitor is pointless, but they are wrong. No matter the refresh rate of the monitor, the higher the fps in game, the less input lag you have. This is called "frametime".
yes i tried vsync is horrible I can't use it since i play competitive it is still choppy when i put my fps high instead of capping its smooth but if it drops 1 fps it becomes choppy

i tried lowering resolution problem still happens

i didn't notice you mention Power Plan in Windows.
having a Power Saver or Balanced plan can severely limit performance in games if certain parameters are not set correctly.

i've also had the default plans become corrupted where even High Performance was stuck with low usage options.
creating a custom plan and manually setting all options to highest possible performance was the only way to get things moving again as they should've.

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
i didn't notice you mention Power Plan in Windows.
having a Power Saver or Balanced plan can severely limit performance in games if certain parameters are not set correctly.

i've also had the default plans become corrupted where even High Performance was stuck with low usage options.
creating a custom plan and manually setting all options to highest possible performance was the only way to get things moving again as they should've.
currently using high performance

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020

it actually did fix the choppy problem nevermind but I can't play on that what is the problem?

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Hello everyone one i'm having a problem in fortnite that is causing my game to be choppy when my gpu usage is low it's always at low which is giving me a 60hz feeling when I play on 75hz and I have it capped at 75fps. This doesn't happen in any other game.

rx 580 8gb
ryzen 5 2600
16 gb ram 3200mzh oloy
asus b450m-a
700w thermaltake psu
256 adata ssd
1tb hdd

tested monitor, stress tested, cpu,gpu,memory no problems I have been having this problem for months if someone can please help.

Jun 28, 2021
Something this happens when you have any rgb software or mouse software try to unistall these programs if you have any or maybe is you cpu termal paste you need to put new thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.