Question Stable Motherboard for 12600K

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
Looking for a mobo for 12600K processor. Leaning towards a Z690, one that also supports 14th gen, so i can swap processor in the future if/when need arises.

Following are my needs,
  • Stable Mobo without issues (Prefer a tried and tested mobo)
  • Form factor: ATX Only
  • SATA Ports: Prefer more than 6, definately not lesser
  • Price: Less then 250$
I guess i should be fine with PCI 4.0?

What are my options?

Here is one I came across - MSI PRO Z690-A

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure what to tell you. Not usually able to find comprehensive reviews of all motherboards. As long as they have the features you want, pick the one you like.

If you are planning for a larger CPU in the future, take a look at the VRM layout. You'll want something a little above the basics. That one has a 14 phase VRM, which is plenty.

Reactions: artk2219

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
Not sure what to tell you. Not usually able to find comprehensive reviews of all motherboards. As long as they have the features you want, pick the one you like.

If you are planning for a larger CPU in the future, take a look at the VRM layout. You'll want something a little above the basics. That one has a 14 phase VRM, which is plenty.
Thanks for the reply Eximo.
If there are any commonly used stable Mobos that you are aware of, please share the models. I am hoping to get a list of recommended models so i can pick one after reading reviews or based on recommendations.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think you will find reviews on stability, only performance. They may note any board that isn't stable for whatever reason, generally low overclock potential or the like.

I can't think of a single source that reviews motherboards outside of their launch times. So no annual follow ups or anything.

In the last ten years or so, I basically just pick a mid-range priced board I like the look of that has the features I think I will need. I generally always overestimate what I might need.

You can opt for a high end board with all kinds of features, but if you are only going to do basic stuff, then it is a huge waste. Don't need an LN2 BIOS or the ability to pump out 500W+ for the CPU, just something reasonable.

I look for one step up from the bottom when it comes to the audio chipset. Ethernet at this point should be minimum 2.5Gbps. WiFi or not (I generally avoid it if I can), Dual Ethernet is a bonus. I have considered thunderbolt in the past.

The only boards that I might consider actually stable or the ones build for long term support. ASUS calls them Corporate Stable Models. But that is more for long term availability and support, not so much stability, though presumably they do their best.

Stable systems to me mean not cheaping out on the power supply. Not going crazy with the system memory, so something reasonable, not bleeding edge, and keeping voltages to sane levels.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
AsRock Z690 Taichi (~$210)
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VVC48d/asrock-z690-taichi-atx-lga1700-motherboard-z690-taichi

6 SATA ports
3 NVMe slots
USB-C Gen 2x2 header (which means your PC case will need a Gen 2x2 USB-C port!)
USB-C Gen 2 rear port
DDR5
20 phase VRM
ALC1220 audio codec
overall an excellent motherboard. You won't find much better.

It lacks a DP port for the iGPU but i think you can live without one. It does have HDMI 2.1.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z690 Taichi/index.asp#Specification

Looking for a mobo for 12600K processor. Leaning towards a Z690, one that also supports 14th gen, so i can swap processor in the future if/when need arises.

Following are my needs,
  • Stable Mobo without issues (Prefer a tried and tested mobo)
  • Form factor: ATX Only
  • SATA Ports: Prefer more than 6, definately not lesser
  • Price: Less then 250$
I guess i should be fine with PCI 4.0?

What are my options?

Here is one I came across - MSI PRO Z690-A
I dont know that you specified this anywhere, are you looking for a DDR4 board to reuse your memory, or DDR5 so you can get newer memory? If its DDR4, those are now slightly harder to find on the new market

There should be some decent lower cost Z790 boards coming from MSI/Asus (MPower/AYW OC aren't on the market in the west at least) which are potentially an option.

Personally speaking if I was getting a LGA1700 CPU and wasn't worried about overclocking I'd probably get the Asus Pro WS W680-ACE. I got one for my server system and it has a fantastic balance of storage and features, but is limited with regards to customization.

TechSpot has the written versions of HUB content if you prefer that to video:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I dont know that you specified this anywhere, are you looking for a DDR4 board to reuse your memory, or DDR5 so you can get newer memory? If its DDR4, those are now slightly harder to find on the new market
This is an important distinction. Both DDR4 and DDR5 motherboards exist.

The benefit of z690 boards is that they are discounted but still offer more or less the same stuff z790 boards do. High end z motherboards can be had for entry level money if you're shopping a generation back.

The AsRock Extreme sold for $120 before stocks ran out. Of the remaining motherboards, you can have your pick. They're almost all cheap.
And they will happily work with a 14th gen Intel after a BIOS update.

Intel 12th gen CPUs are also heavily discounted so it makes perfect sense to use one of those CPUs. 13/14 gen are a cut above and perform better. But z690 and z790 motherboards are basically the same with z790s being mostly DDR5 and with maybe an extra NVMe slot.

It is very wise to look for ATX only motherboards, but the question of "stability" is kinda off. All motherboards are stable as long as they're not dirt cheap, bargain motherboards. That's limited to H610 and some super cheap B660 and B760 chipset motherboards. z chipset boards are flagship chipset boards. Nothing to fear there.

If you want to install a i9 CPU and overclock it (not worth your trouble when it's performance is maxxed out alread; you get 3-4% at most) then it would be better to avoid anything with less than a 12 phase VRM, but phases aren't everything. Quality and spec matters too.
In my opinion a 60+A, 8+8 setup is enough though there is no reason to say no to more, like 100A, 10+10. For an i5 CPU, and a locked one at that, a 6+6 would be fine, even overkill maybe. 6+1+1 though :p That would be something to avoid.

I would MUCH rather have a backup BIOS and/or CPU-less BIOS flash capability, or fast USB-C ports or headers, than look too closely at VRM. It's an important part of the motherboard specs, but examine all the details.

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
I am still undecided on this.
I might go with DDR5 as it is newer. I will deicde after checking on the price difference between the two. If it is comparable then DDR5 makes sense to me.

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
There should be some decent lower cost Z790 boards coming from MSI/Asus (MPower/AYW OC aren't on the market in the west at least) which are potentially an option.

Personally speaking if I was getting a LGA1700 CPU and wasn't worried about overclocking I'd probably get the Asus Pro WS W680-ACE. I got one for my server system and it has a fantastic balance of storage and features, but is limited with regards to customization.

TechSpot has the written versions of HUB content if you prefer that to video:
I had not come across the W680 chipset before.
I will read up on it. I guess no overclocking as it is not Z series.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I am still undecided on this.
I might go with DDR5 as it is newer. I will deicde after checking on the price difference between the two. If it is comparable then DDR5 makes sense to me.
How long do you expect to use this PC before you replace it with a new one?
DDR4 could still be perfectly viable for another 4-6 years. Buy 32Gb. 16 is already not enough. 64Gb will be too silly and probably not worth it as you're unlikely to use more than 32 Gb in the lifetime of your computer.
But you can buy it if you like.

TRENDING THREADS