Question Standard SATA AHCI Controller Code 10 error

rustie725

Commendable
May 7, 2017
Hello,

Firstly, my info:
I have a Western Digital Blue 2 TB as secondary storage and a 240 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 where my operating system is. My motherboard is an Asus Prime A z270, the BIOS version is 0906, not fully updated and I'm running a fully updated windows 10 64bit version.

My PC, when booting up started prompting some times "Disk read error, press ctrl + alt + delete to restart" and sometimes got stuck on the windows logo and didn't load. It did get into windows eventually, after one or several restarts and ran smoothly from there. I checked my drives and they are healthy. I ran a windows system diagnostics and found an error:
{
Symptom: Device cannot start.
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from starting properly.
Details: The device, Standard SATA AHCI Controller, cannot start properly. It may not have the correct driver installed or may be experiencing a hardware failure. The Plug and Play ID for this device is PCI\VEN_10B9-DEV_5289-SUBSYS_FDB27DF7-REV_01\3-11583659-0-10
}

After that I also noticed in the Device Manager that Standard the SATA AHCI Controller has a yellow icon and on the Device Status says :
{
This device cannot start. (Code 10), An I/O adapter hardware error has occurred
}

Automatic update does not work. Tried switching ports on my ssd but the problem persists. I have also checked the cables and everything is connected fine. I'm a bit reluctant to update the BIOS unless its necessary.
Any ideas?

Thank you in advance, Rustie

tshinhar

Honorable
May 27, 2015
Try installing the drivers from here:

If that doesn't solve the problem then yeah I would suggest updating the bios

If that doesn't help clean install windows

After trying all that you may start to think that it is a hardware failure

But I hope a simple driver install will fix it for you

rustie725

Commendable
May 7, 2017
Try installing the drivers from here:

If that doesn't solve the problem then yeah I would suggest updating the bios

If that doesn't help clean install windows

After trying all that you may start to think that it is a hardware failure

But I hope a simple driver install will fix it for you

So I read that sometimes alcohol has some compability issues with the newer windows 10 updates, so I uninstalled it and I also uninstalled the Standard the SATA AHCI Controller Driver, I figured since I also have the Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller driver it wouldn't be a problem and everything seems to be working fine now. I did both of them at the same time so I don't know what was the fix. It didn't prompt me to re-install the driver after restarting. Obviously it doesn't come up as an error in the device manager cause it's not even there and windows diagnostics didn't find any errors either. We'll see how it goes. Either way, thanks for your help.

Nov 30, 2019
So I read that sometimes alcohol has some compability issues with the newer windows 10 updates, so I uninstalled it and I also uninstalled the Standard the SATA AHCI Controller Driver, I figured since I also have the Intel(R) 300 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller driver it wouldn't be a problem and everything seems to be working fine now. I did both of them at the same time so I don't know what was the fix. It didn't prompt me to re-install the driver after restarting. Obviously it doesn't come up as an error in the device manager cause it's not even there and windows diagnostics didn't find any errors either. We'll see how it goes. Either way, thanks for your help.

I removed Alcohol and the driver just disappeared from the list, apparently it was specifically for Alcohol-problem solved!

Reactions: rustie725