Question StandOff Stuck To Mobo Screw

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
I went to remove my mobo from my case to realign it with io shield and 2 of the mobo screws wouldn’t unscrew,they could screw in and out but it wouldn’t come off of the board,after screwing for a bit I noticed that the board could lift up and that the stand off screws came off,I tried to take pliers to hold the stand offs while I try to screw it but it doesn’t work and it seems to be stuck to the screw.How do I go about fixing this?I put the mobo back into the case and it is fine but how will I take the stand offs off if I want to upgrade in the future?

Ralston18

Titan
If I understand your description correctly just allow the stand-off screws to come up with the motherboard.

Once the motherboard is free of the case you should have a cleaner/clearer opportunity to hold the stand-off screw on one side and then unscrew the motherboard screw.

After that just reset the stand-offs into place.

However, they may be a bit deformed or corroded so I recommend replacing them and the corresponding motherboard screws.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
If I understand your description correctly just allow the stand-off screws to come up with the motherboard.

Once the motherboard is free of the case you should have a cleaner/clearer opportunity to hold the stand-off screw on one side and then unscrew the motherboard screw.

However, they may be a bit deformed or corroded so I recommend replacing them and the corresponding motherboard screws.
I’ve tried to hold them with pliers but they move with the pliers

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019

Also is it bad to use deformed standoff screws?

Well The board is off from the case,it’s just that the standoff came with it and I can’t unscrew it

The motherboard screw is going inside the standoff. The motherboard screw should easily unscrew from the standoff. The best way to do it would be to try removing the motherboard screw unscrewing it while you keep in place the standoff behind the board so it doesn't turn.

Jaydeesus

Prominent
Jun 16, 2019
The motherboard screw is going inside the standoff. The motherboard screw should easily unscrew from the standoff. The best way to do it would be to try removing the motherboard screw unscrewing it while you keep in place the standoff behind the board so it doesn't turn.
Well that isn’t the case for my situation because it is stuck and will not unscrew and come off.

Well that isn’t the case for my situation because it is stuck and will not unscrew and come off.

Unless that screw is fused with the standoff I don't see how some force wouldn't work.

If the standoff is still moving it means your not using enough force to make the standoff not move. It's required that the standoff does not move. You can't remove a screw from the standoff if they are both moving.

Ralston18

Titan
All the above...

Make absolutely sure that both the pliers and screwdriver are a firm solid fit to standoff and screw respectively.

Also take a close look at the stuck standoffs and screws - are they identical to the standoffs and screws that have been successfully removed? Fear being that someone just jammed in whatever standoffs/screws were available during the build.

Get someone with steady hands to help. Being in an awkward or cramped position while "fighting" with frozen screws may not end well.

And do not use (or reuse) any deformed standoffs or screws.

Last edited: