Stanford Scientists Create ''Biological Internet''

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
For Science!

[citation][nom]Flinstone2300076[/nom]Apple must be filing the patent as we speak...[/citation]

When Apple plans on expanding outside of their computer tech sphere, it means they're going to troll even harder.

gerchokas

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
Broadcasting DNA over 7 cm lenghts?? For internet? Thats sounds like finding a way to make cancer deliberately infectious. Never mind when people grow a wikipedia on their foot

rolled

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Why list the PHD candidate prior to the PI's name? Pretty sure that's not how you do things...?

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Wow sending genetic instructions to single cells to tell them to grow or stop growing? Man made evolution doesn't seem so far away.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
---M13 can be used to create much more complex communication between cells and "include any sort of genetic instruction: start growing, stop growing, come closer, swim away, produce insulin and so forth."

any chance of "burn belly fat" or "tone muscles"?

G

that would not be a genetic instruction, that would be your brain telling your ass to get off the computer and go jogging ;)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]tolham[/nom]---M13 can be used to create much more complex communication between cells and "include any sort of genetic instruction: start growing, stop growing, come closer, swim away, produce insulin and so forth."any chance of "burn belly fat" or "tone muscles"?[/citation]

Or "Set stress hormone and adrenaline to infinite production to induce heart attack and stroke"?

f-14

Distinguished
i think my biological internet just exploded in my shorts after reading this, must have been the stuxnet virus delivering it's 'payload'

is there anti virus for this?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]i think my biological internet just exploded in my shorts after reading this, must have been the stuxnet virus delivering it's 'payload'is there anti virus for this?[/citation]

Your immune system. On a second thought, HIV would be quite nasty if weaponized. Bye bye to anti-virus.

G

Did anyone else immediately think of Greg Bear's "Blood Music?"

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
"include any sort of genetic instruction: start growing, stop growing, come closer, swim away, produce insulin and so forth."

Produce insulin? As a diabetic, that sounds huge to me.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
[citation][nom]rolled[/nom]Why list the PHD candidate prior to the PI's name? Pretty sure that's not how you do things...?[/citation]
It depends on the graduate advisor. If the student did all the work and the advisor just supervised, most of the time the graduate student is first author, but some PI's may put their names first no matter what. When she graduates, potential employers may want to see not only how many papers you have, but how many first authored papers. So when advisors put their names first when their student did all the work, its usually out of ego and downplays the graduate students work.

Status
Not open for further replies.