News Star Citizen bundle costs a whopping $48,000 — 175-ship package only available if you've spent more than $10,000 on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Star Citizen raised $104 million in 2023, total of $644 million in crowdfunding. Not bad for a game still in alpha, seems the best thing the developer of this game is raising funds.

Reactions: Nathkrul
Jan 8, 2024
iirc its in polishing stage now.

And unlike DN4ever the games actually quality and worth wait
I decided to give Star Citizen a try for the first time about 6 months ago. They were running an event at the time and it was causing such incredible server-wide network lag that the game was virtually unplayable. Even without that, the actual gameplay systems were pretty barebones. It still feels very much like an early access game that is in the very early stages of development.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
An open stretch of grass and a box full of different balls and equipment is not a "sport", but could be used to make one. Likewise, a series of connected software systems in alpha (continually being changed, debugged, or even dropped) should not be called a game.

I wonder if the $48,000 package would be usable in the finished game, or is this purchase only for use during the development phase. I'm pretty sure there are disclaimers about what purchases will carry forward into the actual finished product. Something that would boil down to: "You are not purchasing a game or product, you are funding development. When the game releases, you can buy new stuff there."

Jan 8, 2024
All I can say is that there are a lot of streamers playing the tech demo. Not hard to find on twitch or youtube vids. There are also free flights from time to time to try out it for free.
There is a reason why despite the buggy and unfinished state of the tech demo, more and more people are joining in.

iirc its in polishing stage now.

And unlike DN4ever the games actually quality and worth wait
correction, Squadron 42 is the part that was recently announced feature complete (single player game). it is still a year+ from release.
Starcitizen is far from that. The good thing is that a lot of devs were just moved back to starcitizen development and a lot of features developed for SQ42 are now moved to SC.

Also if anyone is curious, financial statement of the company are public (published with one year delay) : https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-financials-for-2022

Reactions: hotaru251

CleanInternet

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2015
Wonder if this will take longer to finish than duke nukem forever :ROFLMAO:
Their was more than 1.7million individual backers in 2022, not even the total number of +3.5 millions of free account.
Such expensive package are bought by a very limited number of whales, less than 20 based on extracted data few years ago. 20 out of soon 2 millions. If they spend ten thousands for entertainment that mean they have way more. Pretty sure such amount is a fraction of their overall expenses though a single year, not even a decade lol.
All assets are available in game with game credits, not cash, only a 45$ starter package is needed.
The ones milking gamers are Publishers and they copy-paste games since decade... hence the support from so much gamer in alpha.

Reactions: Henryhaha

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I paid the $45 a long time ago. Was always a big wing commander fan. Just wasn't anything to do in the early days so I haven't picked it up in a while.

Also very tricky to run at launch when quad cores were still a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.