Star trek armada crashing on start

Snorp09

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
When I start star trek armada 1 on my windows 10 computer it crashing at start.
It flickers black and then closes. Does anyone have a fix for this?? Its one of my favorite star trek games.

Specs:
AMD R7 200 series graphics.
Windows 10 64bit
Intel celeron G1840 processor
20 gigabytes ram.

Solution
Fortunately Star Trek Armada is a rather old game, so you should be able to play it using a free virtualization tool like VirtualBox. Download and install VirtualBox, and be sure to pick up the Extension pack for it as well. Then you'll need to get a copy of Windows XP from somewhere, create a new VM, use the Windows XP profile, and then install Windows XP. Once the VM is up and running go here and follow the steps to enable 3D acceleration, you'll need this to run Star Trek Armada in the VM as the game has no software renderer and requires 3D acceleration. After that is done, install the game in the virtual machine and it should hopefully work.
Star Trek Armada tends to run into problems with any OS newer than Windows XP. There is an unofficial patch here that fixes some of the issues to get the game to run on Windows 7, whether that will work through to Windows 10, I don't know. Other than that, try running the game in Windows XP compatibility mode and see if that helps.

Snorp09

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

I have attempted to use that patch on windows 8.1 so I am guessing that it would not work here. And I have tried compatibility mode.

Well, you may just be out of luck for that particular game, at least running it natively on your system. Your best option at this point might be to look into running Windows XP in a Virtual Machine and trying playing the game that way. Dual booting with Windows XP might also be an option, though I think you might not be able to find an XP driver for your graphics card, I think AMD may have discontinued supporting Windows XP by the time it came out.

Snorp09

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Ok do you know of a guide for where I can set up a virtual machine to play 3d games?

Fortunately Star Trek Armada is a rather old game, so you should be able to play it using a free virtualization tool like VirtualBox. Download and install VirtualBox, and be sure to pick up the Extension pack for it as well. Then you'll need to get a copy of Windows XP from somewhere, create a new VM, use the Windows XP profile, and then install Windows XP. Once the VM is up and running go here and follow the steps to enable 3D acceleration, you'll need this to run Star Trek Armada in the VM as the game has no software renderer and requires 3D acceleration. After that is done, install the game in the virtual machine and it should hopefully work.

Solution