Star Trek Online is on Server Overload

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
cryptic should put something special
like discover hidden reaces that give you unique archievements.

like "XXXX player Discovered XXX planet!, XXX planet is now avaliable"
of course, the guy who discovered it gets bonus points to everything in said planet (like cheaper stuff )

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I'm just afraid that Cryptic will do to STO, like they did to Champions Online... was fun for through Open-Beta/Headstart, then they completely changed the game and ruined it, because they wanted to "slow" the game down. :/

They changed CO from a newer experience, which to me was as much fun as WoW or more, to a grind fest that was just boring and repetitve, crippling most of the characters.

agentjon

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
For those that do not know. STO was in development since 2004 but that original developer went bankrupt in 2008(Which has happen to many ST developers).

In late 2008 Cryptic got the license to do STO but they got nothing in the way of a productas the original code stayed with the bankrupted company.

This game was pushed out in less than 2 years and it shows.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Typical. I remember what happened to all the guys at 14º East and Interplay when they killed Klingon Academy and how they got tossed on the street.

A whole bunch of folks had come up with ship and game mods (folks had brought in the "planet killer" from the original TV series, ships from Babylon 5, early and late mod Star Trek stuff, and I heard that Mike Strazinski from B5 was even involved) that were just coming on line and then they got sued by the Star Trek folks to shut the whole thing down. I read a number of comments on sites online that everybody who had mod links got notices about potential legal action for providing stuff that violated copyright rules.

Hell, with all its flaws I'd still be playing the game (if it would run in XP SP3 with DX9.0c, or VIsta).

G

I'm finding myself really frustrated with this game. Yesterday afternoon when I played, the servers were overloaded and everyone was experiencing glitches. Then the servers went down and stayed down all night last night, until I gave up trying to play. I give it a go today and servers are back up but it put me in a 450 person waiting queue because the servers are full. Surely they must have realized after this ALREADY HAPPENED in the BETA that they would need to incredibly up the server space before launch, and especially the weekend after launch. I don't know... I had such high hopes and now I think I'd rather return the game, if I'm not even going to get to play it. And as others have said, the gameplay can be pretty awful itself, it took me the last week for the game to grow on me at all, and now I am just really losing my interest incredibly quickly over this. :-( Maybe I should wait a year until they pull themselves together (and on MMOs in general, I think I have had this realization every time I buy a game at launch...why don't they make games as they should, so it is released properly in the beginning? Well, I know why, money, but I guess I'm just...complaining that is sucks for the consumer and will one day bite the gaming industry in the butt when everyone stops buying MMOs at launch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS